SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Stamped slide P226 failure to extract
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stamped slide P226 failure to extract Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I have a 1991 stamped slide P226. I used some "Slide Glide" lube awhile back and started having failures to extract leading double feeds (live round trying to feed into empty case in chamber).

The extractor hook looks fine.

I field stripped the gun and gave it a good cleaning and it was full of sludge (I'm assuming from the slide glide grease).

I'm going to detail strip it and give it an even more thorough cleaning.

Could built up grease be causing to failure to extract issues or do I likely have something else going on here?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I used Slide Glide on my training pistols almost exclusively for many years and never experienced any issues, but then I cleaned them after every range session. Because it’s a thick lube and because the original internal extractors of the SIG Classic line pistols are harder to clean properly, though, I believe it’s conceivable that old lube and firing residues are causing the problem.

The best way to clean the extractor and associated parts is of course is to disassemble the slide to get access to everything. If you want to avoid the inconvenience of doing that, you could try flushing out the mechanism with a “scrubber” type product* first. Put the straw nozzle into the space for the extractor and spray the ever-lovin’ out of it and allow the cleaner to drain out the back of the breechblock. While you’re at it, I’d spray into the firing pin channel through the hole in the face of the breechblock.

I don’t know if that would cure the problem, but it might be worth a try as something that would be cheap and easy.

Also, what ammunition, and is it something new for you?

* Make sure you’re using the right stuff. I knew someone who used what he thought was a cleaner, but was actually a light lube and just made his problems worse.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm using 124gr Federal American Eagle. Not new to me and no issue in any other gun.

I think I'm going to take the slide apart and completely clean it.

Is it possible to add more tension to the extractor (similar to a 1911) or is that a no-go with a SIG?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
My G/F sent her similar vintage P226 to one of the well known platers for electroless nickel plating. Everything steel was plated while the anodized aluminum frame stayed original.
Soon after it's return from the plater, it started exhibiting the same failure as your pistol.

We called SIG C/S and they said that the internal extractors were a sacrificial part. (on stamped/folded slides)
If the extractor ever got removed, it should be replaced.
I assume the plater removed the extractor and then reinstalled it after the slide was plated.

We boxed up the slide and sent it to SIG.
They replaced the extractor and sent along the extra spare extractor we had requested.
The slide was sent back to us and now that P226 operates as it should.

SIG had extractors for stamped/folded slide P226's in stock just several years ago. (I don't know if that is still true)
I believe Jack First Gun Parts also manufactures a extractor for SIG stamped/folded slides as well.
I recommend calling SIG C/S and get a new extractor installed. Internal extractors lose tension over time/usage. (because the extractor IS the spring)

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1487 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:

We called SIG C/S and they said that the internal extractors were a sacrificial part. (on stamped/folded slides)
If the extractor ever got removed, it should be replaced

That’s not correct. I have removed/reinstalled hundreds of internal extractors without issue.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how built up grease could cause failures to extract unless the grease is around the breech face or the extractor itself. I used slide glide (lite and standard) all the time on my old P226 and have not had a problem. In fact, if I know I am going to be shooting a number of matches I usually just wipe off the dirty grease with a shop towel every 2nd match or so and put new grease back on the rails, I don't even bother completely cleaning it between matches.

Posts: 4074 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post