SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Extra barrels for P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extra barrels for P229 Login/Join 
posted
I have a P229 in 40S&W, I believe I can go to a 357 SIG with just a barrel change and spring. My question is can I also go to a 10mm with just a barrel and spring, I guess I'm wandering about the extra power generated by the 10 and the 229s ability to stand up to it. I think I would need a different slide to go to a 9mm is that correct? I really doubt that I would go down to a 9 anyway, just curious. I have a lot of nice handguns but that sig 229 is as accurate and reliable as any of them. Thanks

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If for no other reason, the 10mm Auto cartridge would not be usable in the P229 because its overall length is too great to fit into the P229 magazine. In addition the Grayguns conversions and then the factory 10mm pistols were based on P220s with steel frames. It was evidently thought that aluminum frames as the P229 has were not strong enough for the 10mm cartridge.

To convert a 40 S&W P229 to 357 SIG requires only a new barrel. Magazines and recoil springs are the same.

Converting a 40 229 to 9mm is more complicated. Current 9mm P229-1 magazines are evidently sized to fit the wider 357/40 P229 magazine wells, but the original 9mm and 357/40 P229 locking inserts were different, so a simple slide and factory barrel change wouldn’t work. I don’t know all the details about such a conversion today, but many users did convert from 357/40 to 9mm with an aftermarket conversion barrel.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, the 357 Sig is what I'm most interested in. RIA sells a 10MM 1911 for about what the conversion would cost probably and I'm not sure I even want a 10MM. If I want to get that serious, I'll get the 41 Mag or 44 Mag out. I guess the 357Sig barrel doesn't need to be fit ?

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
No, its just a "drop in" the barrel and "go".

As sigfreund stated, you just swap the barrel and you can use the same magazine for .40 or .357Sig rounds. No fitting required.

Just make sure you only shoot the 357Sig from the 357Sig barrel and vice versa.

Posts: 3695 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glider:
I guess the 357Sig barrel doesn't need to be fit ?

I have actually encountered a factory 357 SIG barrel or two that was a tight fit in the 40 slide. It shouldn’t require any fitting, but until it gets broken in a bit, it might be hard to cycle by hand.
I have found the best “fitting” is to get the gun assembled with the 357 barrel, ensure the slide will go fully into battery even if it takes some pushing, and then shoot the gun with the new barrel. Any tightness will then loosen up to normal.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

posted Hide Post
If I understand this correctly, the 9mm will not work if 'dropped-in', regardless of recoil spring?
Would I have to buy an entire 228/229 top-end in 9mm?

Posts: 378 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
If you have a P229 in .40 or .357 Sig and want to go 9mm with that pistol, get a Bar-Sto 9mm semi-fit conversion barrel and 9mm magazines.

You won't need a different recoil spring, but the Bar-Sto barrel will need to be carefully fitted to avoid damage and ensure proper cycling and accuracy.

I had that done with my P-229. SigArmorer Robert Burke only needed to do a tiny bit of fitting the Bar-Sto barrel and the pistol runs like a champ.

Posts: 4492 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, that sounds far less burdensome.
I appreciate it.

Posts: 378 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
If you have a P229 in .40 or .357 Sig and want to go 9mm with that pistol, get a Bar-Sto 9mm semi-fit conversion barrel and 9mm magazines.

You won't need a different recoil spring, but the Bar-Sto barrel will need to be carefully fitted to avoid damage and ensure proper cycling and accuracy.

I had that done with my P-229. SigArmorer Robert Burke only needed to do a tiny bit of fitting the Bar-Sto barrel and the pistol runs like a champ.

Thank you snores for this info.

I’ve been looking for a while at the conversion to 9mm capabilities &
read somewhere going with the .40/.357 slide would not work due to the size of the breechplate being larger to accommodate a larger shell.

It was advisable ( fr this source)to get the 9mm slide too…I suppose for the slightly smaller breechplate(?)

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
POA and POI for 40 differ from 357. Adjust sight picture.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
POA and POI for 40 differ from 357. Adjust sight picture.

Correct.

Interestingly (well, at least to me as I'm easily amused), the reason for this may not be entirely apparent until you think about it, Why would the flatter shooting .357 hit lower than the slower, heavier 40? The answer lies in the 357 Sig round being considerably faster than the 40, and thus spends less time in the barrel.

Immediately following ignition, the barrel and slide will be moving back together for a short distance, in relation to the frame, during JMB's ingenious short recoil action. The barrel chamber end is also moving downward in relation to the breech to affect unlock. This has the same affect on the projectile, still in the barrel, as if the muzzle were moving upward. The faster .357, spending less time in the barrel, will have its POI less affected by this barrel tilt phenomena than the slower 40. Thus, as noted, shooting .357, in a gun sighted for 40, will see the .357 POI different than the 40 POI for the same POA. The 357 will hit lower.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post