SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Why won't my slide lock back after last shot fired?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why won't my slide lock back after last shot fired? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Removing the locking insert is hardly "torn down" Smile.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drmac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Removing the locking insert is hardly "torn down" Smile.

chris, how do i remove the locking insert? i looked at the diagram and you are right, it looks like only one part comes out.

Posts: 348 | Location: USA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drmac
posted Hide Post
chris i found out how to remove it from a website. they say the only thing holding it in place is the spring. should i try it?

Posts: 348 | Location: USA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drmac
posted Hide Post
it has been a week and i took out the little piece of wood i used to keep the catch lever in the up right position hoping it would weaken the spring. Good News, it seem to. my slide now locks back with an empty mag and on the last shot. i still have the new spring that sig sent me. i will use it if the problem comes back

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This needs to be on page one!

Posts: 13037 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drmac
posted Hide Post
i check out my friends p220s, yes he has three of the same pistol. all three slide catch lever springs are much weaker than mine. mine is stiff and snaps back with extreme force. this is the problem i think most people are having with their p220s. my advise it call sig. have them send you a new spring.

posted Hide Post
BTT Wink

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how would one go about ordering new followers for sig mags? I didn't see anywhere on SIGARMS site that followers were available separately. Anyone gotten any?

"Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time"

Posts: 695 | Location: Peoples Republic of Maryland | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig does sell them, just give them a call at #603-772-2302. I have some used P226 9mm that you could have if that's the kind you want. Not new but you can have them for free, I think Sig charges somewhere between $6.00-$9.00.

Posts: 8604 | Registered: April 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brendonrd:
how would one go about ordering new followers for sig mags?

Brownells also carries them

Jane - Expert on nothing with opinions on everything.

Posts: 3121 | Location: near San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
actually ordered em from sig, 8.95 a piece, but im an idiot and i think the springs are just worn. I will be replacing those too with the wolf +10% just for good measure. nothing like a good mag overhaul...

"Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time"

Posts: 695 | Location: Peoples Republic of Maryland | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tools | Add to my favorites....

Thank you!

Posts: 64 | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the useful Thread.

Posts: 2523 | Registered: March 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the thread that keeps on giving! Now, if I could only keep my blasted thumb away from the slide catch on my Sigs, after a range session with my 1911, where I ride my thumb high on the thumb safety.

Posts: 2405 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mjohn
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a joke concerning "Placing the recoil spring on backwards." So, I actually took my 220SS apart to see for myself. Well.......you all know the answer!

Thanks for the educational post!!

Posts: 1465 | Location: Sandbox City VA | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unbanned Member
Picture of xr650
posted Hide Post
(cue music)I get by with a little bump for my friends.

Posts: 1120 | Location: Wyldoming | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveO
posted Hide Post
I have been having this happen some with my new P226R Navy. I know some of it was do to grip because when I forced myself to maintain a firmer grip it reduced it from happening quite a bit. And my left-handed buddy didn't have it happen to him when he shot it. I have now put about 500 rounds thru it in the month or so that I have owned it and it seems to have gotten worse for me. I am going to check my slide catch spring tonight cause I am thinking mine may be a bit too strong also. The reason I think this is due to the fact that my left-handed buddy has a P228 and I shot it with the exact same amount of grip / wrist force that I shoot mine with and I did not run into any slide issues with his gun but yet mine has issues.

Posts: 11 | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harmful if
Swallowed
Picture of widge
posted Hide Post
Angels One-Five!

Libidio Ergo sum

Posts: 13306 | Location: Minnesota: land of 10,000 lakes & 10 gazillion mosquitos | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Xfactor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
...I suppose an overly stout recoil spring could cause this, and some new pistols seem "tighter" than others which could contribute.

Placing the recoil spring on backwards (the tight end goes on the guide rod first) could conceiveably affect slide speed enough to cause this...

This brings to mind a question I've been wondering about... SIGARMS tells me my new 9mm X-Five Comp recoil spring is 18lbs (!) which seems a bit stout for a 9mm. I was searching for an aftermarket spring that's a little lighter, and I'm wondering the following:
* Will an aftermarket spring function properly, considering the way a stock SIG spring is tighter on the inside end?
* If an aftermarket spring is OK, what would be the min. recommended weight for proper/reliable function (w/o undue wear & tear)?

- Aaron

Freedom Gunworks Shooting Team

Posts: 160 | Location: Hackettstown, NJ | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Consultant
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a P226ST in .40 and a Barsto 9mm convervsion barrel for it. I have discovered that the six MecGar 9mm magazines I bought for it don't lock the slide back on the empty magazine. Following Chris's advice earlier in the chain I tried it with the slide disassembled off the frame. The magazines push up the slide lock level fine then but not with the slide on the frame. I discovered that the magazine follower lip just misses the slide lock lever when the slide is on the frame. Apparently the magazine is pushed sideways slightly when the slide is on the frame although I don't know by what. Comparison with the factory stock .40/.357 magazines showed that the factory followers have a small extension lip that sticks out sideways from the follower just enought to catch the slide lock lever.

Some questions. Do all P226 magazine followers have this extra little lip? Do other 9mm magazines for P226s have the extra little lip? Do I have a problem with the slide lock lever dimension? Does anybody know a good source of followers with the extra lip to retrofit on my new magazines?

"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence
in any field from adultery to zoology."

H.L. Mencken

Posts: 289 | Location: Highlands Ranch, CO | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post