SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Why won't my slide lock back after last shot fired?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why won't my slide lock back after last shot fired? Login/Join 
Harmful if
Swallowed
Picture of widge
posted Hide Post
Can't hurt to try changing them, they're pretty cheap.

Libidio Ergo sum

Posts: 13306 | Location: Minnesota: land of 10,000 lakes & 10 gazillion mosquitos | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harmful if
Swallowed
Picture of widge
posted Hide Post
Page 2? Not in this life!

Libidio Ergo sum

Posts: 13306 | Location: Minnesota: land of 10,000 lakes & 10 gazillion mosquitos | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too good of information to be off the first page.

"It is easier to fight against a loss than to ever get it back after you lose it. " Joe Nava

Posts: 409 | Location: Southern Kansas | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Sigs, and the only Sig that has had a Failure to Lock Open is my 220. It doesn't happen often, but will occassionaly, esp with my Sig 10 rd mag. The mag catch lever does seem stiff. Does anyone know a proper way to "tweak" or ben the spring a certain direction to reduce the pressure?

Posts: 2405 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
^^

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dirtdawg2
posted Hide Post
^^??

X-5 AR / P229 Elite ST / P226 Elite ST / P220 Carry Elite ST / P220 Elite TT / P220 Compact / 220ST / 220ST DAO / P229R / P239 - 9mm & 40...

Posts: 2025 | Location: Mostlysunny | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drmac
posted Hide Post
quote:
huskytaio

huskytaio, call sig and tell them the slide catch lever spring is to stiff. they will send you a new one. Or, go to brownels website and get one from them. p220 slide catch lever spring

Posts: 348 | Location: USA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not gone or forgotten.

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98z28
posted Hide Post
Wow what a great thread!

So, I have a 1997ish P220 that I am going to have re-sprung this week with a parts kit I ordered through Top Gun Supply. It has no issues locking open on an empty mag. Should I tell the smith to leave the slide lock spring alone?

If, in the opinion of the people, the distribution or modification of the constitutional powers be in any particular wrong, let it be corrected by an amendment in the way which the Constitution designates. But let there be no change by usurpation; for though this, in one instance, may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed.
— George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Posts: 1092 | Location: South Mississippi | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harmful if
Swallowed
Picture of widge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98z28:
Wow what a great thread!

So, I have a 1997ish P220 that I am going to have re-sprung this week with a parts kit I ordered through Top Gun Supply. It has no issues locking open on an empty mag. Should I tell the smith to leave the slide lock spring alone?

Won't hurt a thing to change it.

Libidio Ergo sum

Picture of falcon72
posted Hide Post
I took my new to me P226 .40 (pics to come)to the range Sat morning. I field stripped it, cleaned and oiled fri night. At the range throuh the first few magazines, only about 50% locked the slide on the last round. The guys at the range could not see anything wrong visually and gave me a little hotter round to try.those failed 100% Then through about 300 more rounds of the Blazer I was origianlly using, it failed every time.

I knew had seen a discusion here and found it read the ideas. I realized I did have the spring on backwards. I also oiled the rails again and left a more generous coat this time. Went back to the range Sun afternoon and went through 150 rounds...locked back every time!

Not sure if it was the spring or lube, but it worked.

Thanks for the insight.

C

CB.
------------------------------------------------------------
"Man's desire to be primitive is a disease of culture" - George Santayana

Posts: 384 | Location: The New South.  | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a problem with this on my 220ST a while back. My slide failed to lock back after last shot fired and when racking the slide with empty mag inserted. I cleaned the mags and tried new mags and niether helped. I noticed that compared to my 226 my 220ST slide catch spring was a lot stiffer. I called SIG and they sent me a new slide catch spring. When I installed the new spring I still had the same problem, slide failed to lock back after last shot and manually. After some studying I decided to try some modifying. Since I had a spare spring I decided to cut aprox 1/8 inch off the end of one of the springs where it contacts the slide catch lever. I got this idea because I noticed that the spring on my 226 seemed to be a little shorter than the one on my 220ST. By making the spring shorter it doesent reach as far back on the slide catch lever therefor it applies less pressure. Since then I have had no more problems. The slide on my 220ST locks back every time after last shot and manually. It runs flawless. If you are having this problem with this model and all else fails you may want to try this. I do suggest that you have a spare spring before you attempt this and also make sure you don't cut too much off the spring or it will not apply enough pressure on the slide catch lever.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
15 minute solution to a problem that has 5 pages of posts:

No need to change your grip from a high thumbs hold.

ETA: Sorry y'all for the pic being gone. I rearranged the files on my website. Anyway, here's a new one, along with copious amounts of TW-25B (although there's actually less in there than appears to be).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: caneau,

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With over 15,000 views and only 95 posts;
keeping this information on the first pages seems like a good idea to me.

"It is easier to fight against a loss than to ever get it back after you lose it. " Joe Nava

Posts: 409 | Location: Southern Kansas | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
This thread deserves to get tacked to the top. It's probably the #1 complaint people have about Sigs and it's easily fixed.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
I just came here to ask this very question. Wow! a little research and here are all my answers.

"Sticky Request"

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I shoot my 226/9 a lot more often than my 239/357.

But yesterday I shot the 239 at the range. And there was a failure to lock back. I even noted which magazine it was. Then I remembered this thread and what I had posted before.

My grip needs to change on the 239. I can't have both thumbs pointing forward. My right thumb needs to be pointed somewhat to the left to keep from holding down the slide catch. Once I adjusted, everything was fine.

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Whiskey1
posted Hide Post
Had to send my new 226R back to Sig for the same issue. When you pull back the slide on an empty mag it stays locked maybe 20% of the time.

Man I hope it comes back soon.

Posts: 21 | Location: Seattle, WA. | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTT.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the first page.