SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Help with Old P220
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Old P220 Login/Join 
Picture of barry1967
posted
I got some blackwood grips for my West German P220

The problem is it has the long strut, long spring and old style metal seat which interferes with the grips.

So my options are, grind the grips with a dremel, or, change to a newer stlye mainspring and plastic housing.

Not keen on grinding the grips.

So, can I change to the newer style mainspring/housing set up? If so, does antone know where I can get them.

Thanks

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Check out this schematic at Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/sche...id830.aspx#r34sid830

You need parts 21, 33, and 34.

They aren't all in stock at Brownells and I looked at Topgun Supply and had a hard time finding them.

But at least you can see the part names / numbers and search other places for them (Numrich, Midwest Gun works, etc).

Note I have a similar P220 W. German and just ground the space on the Rosewood grips to make them fit the old hammer strut / mainspring assembly.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
Did you have to remove a lot of material?

I might just do that.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barry1967:
Did you have to remove a lot of material?

I might just do that.

That is what I did as well and didn’t have to remove much, just go slow and check often also ceh cz with everything tightened down to make sure all functions

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I recently updated a KE coded P228 to accommodate a new set of OEM grips. While I ordinarily prefer originality over change, I must admit the new 3-piece mainspring system system as well as the latest E-2 system are both superior to the older 4-piece system you describe. (Please read the attached article for some super information.) Also, you can purchase an anodized aluminum seat if you're squirreled by the plastic part. Here are some links:

Mainspring information
https://www.realgunreviews.com...inspring-assemblies/

Aluminum mainspring seat
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alumi...5H9Ji8-g_1CI7ZKDEYVw

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
I recently updated a KE coded P228 to accommodate a new set of OEM grips. While I ordinarily prefer originality over change, I must admit the new 3-piece mainspring system system as well as the latest E-2 system are both superior to the older 4-piece system you describe. (Please read the attached article for some super information.) Also, you can purchase an anodized aluminum seat if you're squirreled by the plastic part. Here are some links:

Mainspring information
https://www.realgunreviews.com...inspring-assemblies/

Aluminum mainspring seat
https://www.ebay.com/itm/main ...5H9Ji8-g_1CI7ZKDEYVw

I like the idea of the aluminum mainspring seat, hmmmmm. so let’s see 2 220s and 2 older 226 and maybe swap out the seats on the newer 229s.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I like the idea of the aluminum mainspring seat. . .

And in addition to allowing the use of newer grips, the 3-piece mainspring affair makes experimenting with various weight springs a breeze. In the "old" days, changing a mainspring was an arduous task.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
quote:

And in addition to allowing the use of newer grips, the 3-piece mainspring affair makes experimenting with various weight springs a breeze. In the "old" days, changing a mainspring was an arduous task.

Yes it is. Now where is that pin?

Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good stuff there. Thanks

Banned
posted Hide Post
That might just seal the deal some of mine coming up on mainspring replacement round count and I am always for something being easier on firearms

Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
I thought I’d rather resurrect this thread than start a new since it answered a couple of my questions.

I’m considering an E2 grip for my next oldest 220.

So the mainspring info was invaluable. My trigger bar spring is the original style. Do i need to upgrade my trigger bar spring and bar? This is a KF proofed serial no G2398xx.

Don’t know the year (slide says made in W Germany)

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonelar:
This is a KF proofed serial no G2398xx.

KF = 1995. Can't help you with the rest, but this might be of interest at least:
https://www.realgunreviews.com...of-marks-date-codes/

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smudge
I believe the e2 instructions say older than 94 needed new trigger bar and the trigger bar spring.

Once again, Sigforum gots the “know how”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tonelar,

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hey, glad it worked out. Smile

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post