SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Converting a P229 DAO to DA/SA. Trigger bar?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a P229 DAO to DA/SA. Trigger bar? Login/Join 
Picture of Spazzmodicus
posted
Sig P229.40:

I was told when I bought the pistol maybe 2 years ago that it was a DAO. But some in the classified section of the forum say it's more than likely a DAK. It really doesn't matter to me which it is because I wanted to convert it to SA/DA after inadvertently breaking the hammer upon reassembly after having the frame cerakoted. I put it all back together and pulled the trigger. I didn't realize it was in a bind when I pulled the trigger and it broke a little tang or something off of the hammer.

I ordered the parts needed for the conversion to DA/SA. I did not order a new trigger bar but now thinking I probably should have. I may also need to order a different hammer strut but not sure. I'm relying on you guys to tell me what I need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sig 239.9mm, Sig P229.357/9mm, Sig 226.9mm WG x2, Sig 226.9mm Interarms, Sig 226.40, Sig 226.22LR, Sig 239 9mm

Posts: 271 | Location: Clark County, Indiana | Registered: February 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spazzmodicus
posted Hide Post
The problem I'm having is that the trigger bar is making absolutely no contact with the new hammer. Included are images below of the original hammer as well as the new DA/SA replacement hammer, and others. Thanks for any responses.

quote:

Sig 239.9mm, Sig P229.357/9mm, Sig 226.9mm WG x2, Sig 226.9mm Interarms, Sig 226.40, Sig 226.22LR, Sig 239 9mm

Posts: 271 | Location: Clark County, Indiana | Registered: February 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spazz,

That hammer looks like a DAK hammer instead of DAO hammer because there is no spur on it. DAO hammers have a slight spur on them.

Matrix Precision (a.k.a. Revenant Arms) sells a kit to convert DAK to DA/SA. You wil need to buy the whole kit less any parts you have already purchased.

Revenant Arms Parts to Convert DAK P226, P228, or P229 to DA/SA

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spazzmodicus
posted Hide Post
The second photo shows where the spur is broken off. I didn't know what it was called. I called it a Tang in the post above.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Parts to convert from DAK to DA/SA
Decocking Lever
Decocking Lever Spring
Decocking Lever Bearing
Hammer
Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral)
Hammer Reset Spring
Hammer Strut
Mainspring
Safety Lever
Sear
Sear Spring
Trigger Bar
DA/SA Grips with Decocking Lever cutout

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spazzmodicus:
The second photo shows where the spur is broken off. I didn't know what it was called. I called it a Tang in the post above.

I think you are referring to the bottom of the hammer. I'm referring to the top.

This is what a DAO hammer looks like:

Sig Sauer P Series Bobbed Hammer, DAO

And this is what a DAK hammer looks like:

Sig Sauer P Series Hammer, DAK

You definitely have a DAK hammer. You need all the parts necessary to convert a DAK pistol to a DA/SA pistol. As you can see from what Greymann posted, it is a fairly extensive list.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spazzmodicus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help Greymann and Broadside. I now have confirmation and direction!

Picture of Spazzmodicus
posted Hide Post
I found a photo online that shows intact the part of my DAK hammer that broke off.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g...wGYVXAW88/s-l640.jpg

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, you have a DAK hammer with the stud broken off. That stud permits pulling the trigger when using the short trigger reset of the DAK system. I believe, but don’t know absolutely certain, that even with the stud missing the gun could be fired if the trigger is allowed to reset fully forward. If you would be interested in selling the DAK hammer with the broken stud, I would be interested for my research purposes.

As for the list of parts necessary to convert from DAK to DA/SA, a new sear is not required. The sears used in DAK pistols can be used in DA/SA pistols. The reverse is not always true if one has a sear dating from before the introduction of the DAK line.

In addition, DAK-only grip plates are in actuality virtually unknown. DAK pistols were usually supplied with grip plates that are usable with a decocker. A photo of the left side plate would confirm that.

And FWIW, some SIG Classic line pistol hammers (except for P239, not pictured):

Left to right: DA/SA, standard; DA/SA, “sport”; double action only, with spur; DAO, “bobbed”; DAK

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
OP second photo:

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spazzmodicus
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, email me an address and I will send you the hammer for free.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that.
Email sent.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post