SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig P230 SL Re coil spring and ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P230 SL Re coil spring and ??? Login/Join 
posted
Have A Like new . The transfer FFL said used very little if at all. It is Like NEW condition. She is My Wife's Safe Queen . My feeling is if It goes bang It has to be able to got to work.
The Spring on the slide Is very, very Hard even for me. Even if I cock the hammer first, Found there are 3 springs 13 15 18. One in the Gun is just metal. Note The de-cocking lever was also hard. I lubed it up.
Works better. The entire Gun is sort of dry. Saw Pics here of the same with grips off, looked well greased.. I am actually thinking of using Mobile one. Works Great Om 1911 Randall 45. Current ammo is Hornady Critical Defense Hollow points . No I have not fired it. Good Ammo here on Long Island is Super $$$$$$
SER # is S0 4584 *
PS I have A 239 and An old 225. Both fantastic Will post A pic when I figure it out

Better A Gun in your ,than a Cop on the phone

Posts: 11 | Location: L.I.New York | Registered: October 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for nothing. I ask a serious question about A 230 recoil spring, Nothing, yes some genius asks how far brass should land. Is this A serious Firearm's board or PC bull shit.

Posts: 11 | Location: L.I.New York | Registered: October 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Wow. A day's wait too much for you? Don't expect to get too much out of this board with that attitude. Since you took the effort to post again, try reiterating (or clarifying) your question. The post will be refreshed and get bumped to the top of the board when you do this. This would be more useful than shit talking about the forum and other members.

Regardless, after reading your post through several times, I'll try to respond. I use a decent gun grease on my P230SL. A detail strip and relube may be in order. I believe that the factory standard recoil spring is 15lbs. Another possibility is that someone put in an extra power hammer spring. Is the slide only difficult to work when the hammer is down?

Personally, I would not use automotive products on firearms; though you can get away with it, gun products were specifically designed for that purpose and typically work better.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flesh
Sorry for being impatient. Slide is easier to rack with the trigger Cocked.
Gun is very DRY all over. Lubed it up today. Some improvement. Used An older bottle of Break Free.
Gun was bought in Germany in the 90s. That owner was told less than 10 rounds. He never fired it.
Going to look for a 13 lb spring.
Thank you for your time.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Sorry for being the bearer of bad news.
Sig 230 and 232 models are blowback design, not locked breech. (239 and 225 and virtually all other Sig pistols are locked breech)
It appears the standard recoil spring is 15 lbs. Reduced power is 13 lbs. Extra power is 16 - 18 lbs.
With a blowback designed pistol, if you reduce the recoil spring spring rate, you better reduce the ammunition power correspondingly.
The 15 lbs. spring is there for a reason. The only thing holding the cartridge case in the chamber when firing on a Sig 230 SL (or any Sig 230 & 232) is the mass of the slide and the recoil spring.
Firearm damage / frame & slide battering / slide takedown lever fracture could result from using a reduced power recoil spring and full power ammunition.
It will also "sting" your grasping hand more than usual with the higher slide velocity.
The 13 lbs. reduced power recoil spring would only be appropriate with reduced power reloads.

Welcome to the Forum!

I collect Sig All Stainless pistols.
Out of all of them that I've purchased over the years, the ONLY one I've ever sold is a 232 SL. I'm not recoil sensitive, I just didn't like the way the 232 SL felt when shooting it. Snappy!
That's due to the blowback design.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What was said above is all correct, so won’t rehash the same sentiments. I have had my 230SL since new (early 90’s) and carried it as my backup when I was a deputy. Great little pistol to have. It is a snappy little pistol regarding recoil. Due to being blowback as mentioned already. Also one thing to be mindful of is the slide bite. I have donated some blood to it on several occasions. Watch your grip. You want a good purchase on it, but you don’t want to get your skin sliced up either.

Both of you enjoy the pistol, and shoot it as much as you can. It is accurate, fun and a sexy piece of metal.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1110 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Go to Sig Pistols sections.
Look at Florks lubricant sticky note.
Essentially- apply grease to metal on metal. Oil to the other moving parts. The pictures help to guide you on how much grease to use.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just want to say Thanks. Was looking for Away for the wife to Use it. The current spring 15 or more is to hard for her for her to Wrack . It was very dry, never fired by the first owner [ 10 rounds maybe from the Dealer in Germany . Lubed it with 5 - 20 mobile "1" beg diff. but not easy enough for her. Think Grease or 13 spring.
Thanks again

quote:
Sorry for being the bearer of bad news.
Sig 230 and 232 models are blowback design, not locked breech. (239 and 225 and virtually all other Sig pistols are locked breech)
It appears the standard recoil spring is 15 lbs. Reduced power is 13 lbs. Extra power is 16 - 18 lbs.
With a blowback designed pistol, if you reduce the recoil spring spring rate, you better reduce the ammunition power correspondingly.
The 15 lbs. spring is there for a reason. The only thing holding the cartridge case in the chamber when firing on a Sig 230 SL (or any Sig 230 & 232) is the mass of the slide and the recoil spring.
Firearm damage / frame & slide battering / slide takedown lever fracture could result from using a reduced power recoil spring and full power ammunition.
It will also "sting" your grasping hand more than usual with the higher slide velocity.
The 13 lbs. reduced power recoil spring would only be appropriate with reduced power reloads.