SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    where to find a taller rear night sight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where to find a taller rear night sight? Login/Join 
posted
hi all. i just picked up a used 226 and the previous owner replaced the old factory night sights with new factory ones. my problem is that the poa/poi is low and i need a taller rear sight (no, it is not me needing to get used to it before someone says that). can i order from sig? anyone else have them? thanks!

Posts: 51 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Or a shorter front sight. Contact the sight manufacturer.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RebornCattle
posted Hide Post
It is pretty rare these days to find a sight profile other than a semi-ramp, in which the face of the blade is slightly angled away from the shooter. Gone are the days of undercut target sights. I pay close attention to hunting optics as I think it is most important. With all these choices available, what is one to choose? The pairing of a .125″ wide front and .140″ rear is one of the most popular setups and provides an excellent balance of speed and precision

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RebornCattle,

The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

Posts: 9 | Location: U.K. | Registered: May 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the above post relates at all to the issue being discussed. To the OP sig does sell different height night sights. The 'common' sizes are easy to get (like 6 or 8) the other ones takes some effort, if even available. So the difficulty of the situation will depend on the size of the problem in terms of POA/POI.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by majette:
hi all. i just picked up a used 226 and the previous owner replaced the old factory night sights with new factory ones. my problem is that the poa/poi is low and i need a taller rear sight (no, it is not me needing to get used to it before someone says that). can i order from sig? anyone else have them? thanks!

If new factory they will have numbers on them. What likely happened is that the previous owner put on a set made for 40 cal or even for 45 though 226s don’t come in 45. 226 for 9mm or 357 sig is usually 8 and 8. Besides SIG, Top Gun Supply, Midwest Gun Works and Midway USA have replacements OEM. Even Amazon has night sights and fiber optics from a number of manufacturers.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put new sights on two P226s, both 357. One 3 dot, one nights. Just got them from Sig, 8/8 on both sets. Checked zero on both guns today, and they both shoot low about 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 25 yards, on a pistol rest. Neither gun shot low with the old dead nights. Am I suddenly pushing the gun, or is there something else happening?

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If the sights you removed are Sig 8/8 then there's no reason why the new sets should be different.

Do you have calipers to verify the sight height? Should be .220" for a #8 front and .250" for a #8 rear.
A #6 is .230" both front and rear.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
If the sights you removed are Sig 8/8 then there's no reason why the new sets should be different.

Do you have calipers to verify the sight height? Should be .220" for a #8 front and .250" for a #8 rear.
A #6 is .230" both front and rear.

Yes verify heights I am at a loss for explanation but will try one more thing. Do you cover what you want to hit with the front sight, the so called combat hold or use the revolver style 6 o’clock hold. I have adjust all my revolvers to shoot like the semis even though is a little dicey with the ramp sights. I suppose you could call sig they will ask you about hold combat or 6 o’clock.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
I just put new sights on two P226s, both 357. One 3 dot, one nights. Just got them from Sig, 8/8 on both sets. Checked zero on both guns today, and they both shoot low about 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 25 yards, on a pistol rest. Neither gun shot low with the old dead nights. Am I suddenly pushing the gun, or is there something else happening?

I put an adjustable rear sight on one of my 229s so I could adjust for 40 or 357 sig/9mm. I have the different barrels. Adjustable sight not as robust of course but sits low and have not had a problem with it. One should be able to regulate the fixed ones to point of aim whole reason for the different heights. See what sig says I guess. Something else just occurred to me what bullet weight and has that changed. Do you reload?

posted Hide Post
I do reload, have for many years. That said, all the ammo used in the sight alignment check was Speer Lawman, and a bit of Gold Dot. The Lawman duplicates GD duty loads, which is what I have a bunch of, and carry in nearly everything. 357 Sig was designed around a 125 gr. bullet at max velocity, and is well proven.

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
I do reload, have for many years. That said, all the ammo used in the sight alignment check was Speer Lawman, and a bit of Gold Dot. The Lawman duplicates GD duty loads, which is what I have a bunch of, and carry in nearly everything. 357 Sig was designed around a 125 gr. bullet at max velocity, and is well proven.

Another variable eliminated. A ladder test to see if reloading can raise Point of impact safely. Although Lawman ammo is pretty stout not like white box or Blazer. Must be frustrating. Sig makes 9 and 10 size rear sights. Not easy to find. Oh Have you had others shoot it? I thought you mentioned shooting off a rest.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Have the old sights been verified with calipers to see what they were?

I got myself into a mess with a couple pistols when I didn't verify sights before buying them.

The old adage of 8/8 for 9mm and .357 or 6/8 for .40/.45 only works if both dovetails are the same depth. Out of 7 different slides I only have one that has the "correct" sights.
My p220 had unmarked 8/8 sights and I just slapped 6/8 on it cause ya know... it's a .45
All of my p229 9mm and p228 have 6/8 except one and it has a #8 front and #6 rear, it did have 6/6 and shot low.

My 229 .40 had 8/8 sights and was hitting dirt.
That was a tough one to straighten out and needed a #10 rear that is almost impossible to find. Numrich has them but they have no vials in them and are not cheap.
I wound up using an Ameriglo .270" plain black steel rear ($25) for an XD and it's dead on now.
It took a good bit of fitting to get it to work as the dovetail is cut so deep that the #8 sight dragged the top of the slide and the Ameriglo sight had to have the bottom of the blade filed down to clear.

All other slides but the one 229 had a rear dovetail cut of .070"-.075" deep and took a #8 rear.
The .40 slide is .095" deep, needing a #10 rear.
The Select rear has a .055" cut needing a #6

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Of course when one has seemingly exhausted possibilities, go with what seems obvious in retrospect but not before. One wonders why dovetails would be different but obviously they are as you have shown. I wonder how consistent they are on a master shop gun or a legion or even the current P210s.