SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    AR-10 NY Compliant question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-10 NY Compliant question Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
I think I know the answer to this question but I am not an armorer and would like someone to please weigh in. If one purchases a New York State compliant Armalite AR-10 (.308), one of the criteria for NY compliance is that the rifle must have a pinned magazine (capacity no greater than 10 rounds). If one later moves to a more friendly state with no such ridiculous pinned magazine requirement is it feasible to purchase a lower receiver for the rifle and change it out? Thanks in advance for your input.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, just make sure it's a similar pattern of .308 AR lower. (There's no standard "AR-10" pattern like there is for the AR-15, and there are a several different overall designs that various different manufacturers have gravitated towards, whose lowers may not be interchangeable.)

Or, depending how the pinning was achieved, it may even be reversible. Perhaps even as easy as swapping out the magazine catch. I'm not totally familiar with NY's legal definition of "pinned" and what it specifically entails internally.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Or, depending how the pinning was achieved, it may even be reversible. Perhaps even as easy as swapping out the magazine catch. I'm not totally familiar with NY's legal definition of "pinned" and what it specifically entails internally.

Thank you for the information. I will post more on this later, after I pick up my "theoretical" purchase. Smile

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post