SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Stamp serial No. on P228 barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stamp serial No. on P228 barrel Login/Join 
Picture of chperez
posted
Hi,

What would be the correct tool to stamp the gun serial number on a Sig P228 barrel? Law out here requires the barrel to have the serial stamped on it and I had to replace my original barrel. Which size punches should I get?

Thanks

Posts: 24 | Location: Dominican republic | Registered: January 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I would say 3mm alpha/numeric hardened steel.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I am fond of Young Bros. stamp sets. Made well, in the USA. I have three sets in different sizes and am pleased with their quality. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chperez
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both, just what I needed

Posts: 24 | Location: Dominican republic | Registered: January 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if your law doesn't require any specific font, depth or size then a vibratory etcher will be easier and likely cheaper.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
So the law requires that the barrel be serial numbered, but it also allows you to stamp your own serial number? Doesn't that kind of defeats the purpose? Anyone could've just stamped any numbers they want then.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
So the law requires that the barrel be serial numbered, but it also allows you to stamp your own serial number? Doesn't that kind of defeats the purpose? Anyone could've just stamped any numbers they want then.

A perfect example of a poorly thought-out law which puts the burden on a lawful firearm owner and accomplishes nothing of value in return.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post