SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P229 Strange recoil action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Strange recoil action Login/Join 
posted
Recently I am seeing odd recoil action on my P229. I can tell as soon as it fires. It's funny feel everything seems to go in slow motion. I can see the slide start to move and follow it through the complete cycle.

Just started doing this. It was factory amo. Blazer 124gr.

Any ideas on why.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: filipows,

Posts: 95 | Location: Spokane Washington | Registered: June 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
My first question is - have you tried different ammo?

Also, is the gun clean and properly lubricated? Especially the rails.

Is the recoil spring weak or damaged?

Has it always been like that? The reason I ask is because I've noticed if I shoot a few boxes of rounds through my P320 Sub Compact, then I pick up and shoot my P229 it seems to operate in slow motion - relative to the speed of the P320.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't rule out that 224 gr. ammo as a possible cause...Just sayin' Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Depleted Uranium? Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Extra heavy grease in the rails might slow it down some in the cold. Or medium grade in very cold. Clean out the old grease if you use it and try oil right before hitting the range next time.

If you use oil already, I always try to lube right before heading to the range. Over time, oil runs out of the areas you need it, unlike grease. Don't shoot a dry Sig.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a medium grease. I only shoot at indoor temps. I did some clean up. I use a small amount of grease on things that slide, oil on things that rotate.

I have a new recoil spring ordered.

FWIW now looking for new recoil spring for my 225-A1

Extra heavy grease in the rails might slow it down some in the cold. Or medium grade in very cold. Clean out the old grease if you use it and try oil right before hitting the range next time.

Posts: 95 | Location: Spokane Washington | Registered: June 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea what your round count is? Have you changed your springs lately? Are you using the standard hammer spring, how old is it?

I'll second the recommendation to try different ammo and/or a different batch of the ammo you are reporting.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post