SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Need help installing a takedown lever in a P232
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help installing a takedown lever in a P232 Login/Join 
posted
The takedown lever on my P232 broke; I sent it to Sig and they removed the broken lever but didn't have a replacement.

I now have a replacement lever via Gunbroker but neither the replacement or original broken lever slips completely through the slide stop. I conclude this is likely a press fit installation but I'd like to confirm that.

So....anyone here who has installed a takedown lever on a P230 or P232 and can advise me on the installation process? I don't want to damage the replacement lever.

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s not a press fit, but can be difficult to remove or install. It’s been probably 15 years since I last removed that lever.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've learned in the last 24 hours.

1. The takedown lever is the same part for both P230 and P232.

2. The slide stop block is different between the two models; the P232 block is thicker in the area where the lever shaft is inside vs. the P230 block. Numrich has them and with different numbers and VERY different prices. Not the photos; you can see the difference.

3. I asked the Sig Customer Service guy who helped me with my pistol to ask the tech if the P232 was a loose fit / install per the Armorer's Manual or if it was a press-fit or punch installation and his response was this:

"Yes, the takedown lever requires a punch or press to be installed. There should be a dimple on the slide catch lever that you could place a plastic punch on and tap the lever in place."

Since the internet lives forever and these takedown levers are going to break, my sources tell me removal and install on the P230 requires no tools, but both removal and install on the P232 requires a punch and or press / vise.

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info, thx! I just took a look at my armorer’s manual from 2004, and while the tab lists “230/232”, it’s obvious that it’s 230 specific (no mention or illustration of the hammer reset spring for example).

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post