SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    S&W Model 66-2 rear sight wiggles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Model 66-2 rear sight wiggles Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
I noticed today that the blade of the rear site on my Model 66-2 has some noticeable wiggle to it. I'm assuming that I shouldn't be able to move it with my fingers so does anyone know if this means I need a new rear sight assembly or if I just need to buy a new screw and blade?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The screw is held in place by a nut that allows adjustment but breaks if you exceed the normal travel adjustment.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a new sight.....the adjustable part.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may be able to simply tighten down the nut and screw, though this takes a special 2 pronged tool to hold the nut while you turn the screw a bit tighter (Sometimes you can hold it with a punch tip..) Once it is tightened, you then need to re-stake the end of the screw at the nut with a pointed punch (gently).

This may get rid of the movement. If not then you need a new screw, nut, and sight blade.

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not use a simple Loctite type adhesive once the fastener is secured.

Posts: 13 | Registered: January 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the proper screwdriver bit to tighten the nut in question: https://www.brownells.com/guns...anner-prod25408.aspx

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I played around with the rear sight a bit and the blade could only be wiggled if it was in the middle of the rear site base. If I shifted it a little bit left or right I couldn't wiggle it. Anyway, I ended up ordering a replacement rear sight blade.

So when the new blade showed up I notice that the threaded portion is notably offset from the flat portion of the sight. Do I bother trying to install this or should I just send it back in the unopened package.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The barrel part of the sight should be centered on the blade part of the sight.

Posts: 247 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the see if it'll slide into the sight leaf and return it if it doesn't camp.

I've replaced several and built a bunch more rear sights from parts and never had a blade that did not fit the leaf.

Also, when you remove the old blade and screw, do so in a bag and with eye protection. The windage click detent will happily launch into a low earth orbit if you let it.

As an FYI, rear sight blades are available in varying heights (at least three these days) in case you were not aware of that.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post