SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220 Problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Problems Login/Join 
posted
A few years back there were a lot of posts concerning problems with the P220 in 45 ACP. Did all those problems work themselves out or what?

Posts: 168 | Registered: October 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For a total of about 18 years or so my agency issued the P220 to its officers and therefore as the department armorer I would have been alert to complaints about problems. I don’t recall any issues other than that the trigger bar spring should be replaced more often than the coiled spring used in other models.

What sorts of problems are you referring to?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Have never heard of any problems with the P220 either, and have had them for years. Never any issues either here. Think it’s one of the most reliable pistols out there.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was failure to extract. On my factor barrel, the feed ramp is tapered into the chamber a bit which probably aids in chambering, but on occasions the brass being extracted would slide under the extractor and not be pulled clear the chamber. Mine has the internal extractor. I switched to a Barsto barrel. Its feed ramp does not extend into the chamber quite so much allowing the extracted brass to be pulled out just a bit more straight and maintaining contact with the extractor.

Posts: 168 | Registered: October 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Probably the milled stainless slides with the internal extractor.

Posts: 9950 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Probably the milled stainless slides with the internal extractor.

I never had any experience with that model, but as for “many” reports pertaining to that one or the much more common versions, I do not recall seeing any reports and certainly didn’t witness any with the many guns my agency used for many years. My experiences don’t prove that they never occurred, but they do make me tend to doubt such reports. The P220 was never my favorite handgun, but if it were all I had available I would rely on it without hesitation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have owned two P220STs with the internal extractor and never had any problems.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Ok, you're referring to the location of the extractors when they first introduced the stainless slides for the 220. They used the same extractor that had been used in the folded slide, but there were so tolerance issues with machining the milled slides. It wasn't wide spread enough to justify a recall, but wasn't easily corrected either.

Bruce Gray offered a fix if your slide suffered from this issue...it required machining the slide.

I have two 220ST that I have shot and taught with extensively. Neither of them had the issue you're referring to.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
Ok, you're referring to the location of the extractors when they first introduced the stainless slides for the 220.

Thanks for the explanation.
Now that you mention it — I still don't recall it. Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I thought this was a extractor tension problem in some early P220 ST guns. I had 2 of those P220s and never a issue with them.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a p220, each of the 3 magazines gets extremely stiff after the 5th round is loaded. It becomes impossible to load them by hand; I need to use a tool to push the 7th round far enough to get the 8th round in there. Is anyone else having this problem? I already disassembled all mags, cleaned the mag tube, added some oil to springs, made sure everything was seated correctly, etc but am still experiencing very very stiff spring after the 5th round.

Posts: 72 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I thought this was a extractor tension problem in some early P220 ST guns. I had 2 of those P220s and never a issue with them.

Not a tension issue.

It was a matter of stacking tolerances, that's why not all 220ST models suffer from it...my two 220ST don't have any issue with extraction either.

The cure is to machine the slide to correctly locate the extractor for correct traction on the rim.

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mipistola45:
I recently acquired a p220, each of the 3 magazines gets extremely stiff after the 5th round is loaded. It becomes impossible to load them by hand; I need to use a tool to push the 7th round far enough to get the 8th round in there. Is anyone else having this problem? I already disassembled all mags, cleaned the mag tube, added some oil to springs, made sure everything was seated correctly, etc but am still experiencing very very stiff spring after the 5th round.

I haven't had this issue come up in the 20+ 220 magazines I have.

Just a wild guess, have you tried reversing the direction the magazine spring is installed...both front to back and inverted?

Banned
posted Hide Post
I have never had any issues with my p220.

Posts: 16 | Registered: November 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a early model P220ST with the narrow rail in front for a compensator ( P220 Sport frame).

I had nothing but extraction problems usually after about 600 rounds. Sig NEVER admitted a design problem but would send me 3-4 extractors when I complained ( easy fast R&R).
I found Sigs refusal to admit or repair the problem unacceptable!
I will never buy another Sig product.
Too many other firearm options from Company's that care about there customers.

Posts: 4618 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I haven't had this issue come up in the 20+ 220 magazines I have.

Just a wild guess, have you tried reversing the direction the magazine spring is installed...both front to back and inverted?

I haven't but I will today. What do you think is the issue though I shouldn't have to flip the springs around

mi45acp

Posts: 72 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I haven't but I will today. What do you think is the issue though I shouldn't have to flip the springs around

I'd do it just to eliminate the possibility that they were somehow installed backwards.

Other than an actually ingested blockage in the magazine body, I don't know anything else that would cause the issues you're experiencing

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd do it just to eliminate the possibility that they were somehow installed backwards.

Other than an actually ingested blockage in the magazine body, I don't know anything else that would cause the issues you're experiencing

All three springs are installed in the same direction; I do not think they would all be installed incorrectly. I contacted SIG support and they said SIG has been using very stiff springs in their mags recently to increase the life of the spring in the long run. They recommended loading them to full capacity when not in use as well as cycling the use of each magazine when I go fire the pistol so that they all get broken in.

mi45acp