SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG 220 SAO xray 3 sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 220 SAO xray 3 sights Login/Join 
Picture of cyberphobia
posted
thought this was going to be easy I wanted to change the night sights om 220 CARRY SAO to the new to me X-Ray3 Pistol Sights okay I thought check the number on the sights on the SIG and buy the same, well now I have read that different SIGs of the same caliber and model have different number xrays sights fitted.
Any member have an answer for me.
Thank you.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2250 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Where did you read that?
I have found that sometimes the height of one manufacturer’s sight number doesn’t match another’s, but I would expect within a manufacturer’s line that the relationship between front and rear would be the same. I.e., I would expect a number 8 X-Ray3 front and rear to produce the same POI as a number 8 front and rear of standard SIGLites.

I have installed X-Ray3 sights as replacements before with no noticeable problems, but I’ll get to confirm that tomorrow when I take a P320 Compact to the range after replacing the original 8s with X-Ray3 8s this afternoon.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
https://www.realgunreviews.com...ights-sight-numbers/
Scroll down to
For example, in preparation for this article, I recently asked members of the SIG Sauer Legion Owners Facebook Group to post their Legion’s sight numbers. Two members, both with 9mm P226 Legion SAO pistols posted different front sight numbers:

I maybe over reacting to this.

Smile

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2250 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Install whatever it has now.

Yes, some of the same type can have different sights between batches.
I have 229 9mm with 6/8 and 6/6 sights.
My P220 has 8/8 sights.

If it has 6/8 now then buy those.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Install whatever it has now.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
I have read that different SIGs of the same caliber and model have different number xrays sights fitted.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you’re getting at, but what you describe used to be relatively commonly true of SIG pistols. I don’t know what the factory’s process was to determine what sights should be installed on a particular pistol, but individual guns were (or were claimed to be) individually zeroed. As I recall, for example, my P225 came with a number 7 rear sight. I don’t believe that such odd-number sights are available now, but at one time SIG armorer manuals listed an extensive range of different values to permit very close zeroing. Now the factory practice seems to just use a limited number of sights (6 and 8, I believe) and install those based on the model and cartridge of the gun without any effort at zeroing. It’s still possible, though, that even just those two values are used to improve an exceptionally poor zero.

It may also be that modern manufacturing methods and precision can ensure that all guns of a specific caliber and model will be zeroed close enough for most users with standard sights.

(I could be wrong about some of this, but I am pretty certain that factory use of sight values other than 6 and 8 has long been discontinued.)

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Other than .22 sights 6/8 is it these days.
If you need something other than that you have to go with Dawson.
My 229 .40 needed a #10 rear sight and I wound up using an Ameriglo XD sight.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
thanks for the answers people! Cool by the way can these sights be fitted with a SIG SIGHT TOOL???

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The older sight tools I’m familiar with that were marked and sold by SIG were for the Classic line guns. The dimensions of the rail “shoes” to use with the current MGW Sight-Pro tool are significantly different for the P320 and the Classic line guns, and I therefore believe that the SIG tool cannot be used with the P320.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir the sights will be on my "OLD" 220 and 226.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
Yes Sir the sights will be on my "OLD" 220 and 226.

Red Face
I don't know where I got the P320 in all this.
So yes, the SIG sight tool should work fine. There are little, if any, dimensional differences between the X-Ray3 sights and the traditional ones.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy