SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    229 357 SIG front sight replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229 357 SIG front sight replacement Login/Join 
rush chairman
Picture of Guy1
posted
I have a 20 year old 229. Front sight rusted badly. I just removed it with my sight tool. Slide actually looks ok from rust perspective. I dropped the old sight and cannot find it. Should I get a size 6 or 8 replacement? Rear sight is an 8.

Posts: 713 | Location: MS | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
#8 for 357 SIG.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
rush chairman
Picture of Guy1
posted Hide Post
Ty!

Posts: 713 | Location: MS | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Guy1:
I have a 20 year old 229. Front sight rusted badly. I just removed it with my sight tool. Slide actually looks ok from rust perspective. I dropped the old sight and cannot find it. Should I get a size 6 or 8 replacement? Rear sight is an 8.

Actually depends on whether is 40 cal or 357 sig or 9mm. i believe that the 40 cal 229 wants a 6 in the front, but I better look. OK so looked back at thread title is a 367 sig. I think that is a good thing myself. This from real gun reviews Home » Articles » SIG Sauer Sight Heights and Sight Numbers. So indeed for sig 229 in 357 sig 8 and 8. I put x-rays on one of mine and did the same there.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guy1:

It should look good from a rust perspective....It's a Stainless Slide! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8772 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by Guy1:

It should look good from a rust perspective....It's a Stainless Slide! Wink

There are different types of stainless steel, with some more resistant to corrosion than others, and it comes down to which type a gun manufacturer uses. Of the various stainless steel guns that I've owned, the only one to exhibit any rust at all were a couple SIGs. One had been in a hot humid environment and obviously neglected by the previous owner for years...but the other remained new in box and unfired in a high elevation relatively dry climate with me as the original owner. It took a couple years to develop and was just a tiny bit of surface rust that formed in the "Custom Shop" engraved logo, and was fairly easy to remove...but it was there.

Bassed on my experience I believe that SIG uses a type of stainless steel more prone to rust. I wouldn't hesitate to own a stainless steel SIG, but I would suggest anyone owning one pay more attention to regular surface lube wipe downs and watching for rust.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Yup, should look 'good' not perfect, but definitely MUCH better than carbon steel! While 304 & 316 Stainless will remain almost unaffected and seemingly immune to corrosion, 400 series Stainless, not so much!

Stainless Steel....Stain-less, NOT Rust Proof! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8772 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post