SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    What Is The Purpose
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is The Purpose Login/Join 
posted
I have a P938 that I shoot weekly. It is a fine little pistol. I have a question. What is the purpose of the little hardened steel ball that comes in contact with the hammer when the slide is withdrawn to chamber a round?

Posts: 15 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: April 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to the back of the firing pin ? as there is no steel ball part...

Posts: 13 | Registered: January 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. If you remove the slide and turn it upside down, you will see a hardened ball attached to the underside of the slide. It rubs on the top cartridge in the magazine. I suspect its purpose is to slightly move the top cartridge forward if a loaded magazine is inserted in the pistol with the slide closed. When you work the slide, the ball pushes the cartridge down then shoves it forward a wee bit as the slide closes.

The ball also touches the base of the hammer and slightly moves it rearward as the slide retracts. Why does this happen? What is the purpose of the slight hammer movement?

Posts: 15 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: April 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aha. I believe it is to control the angle of the top round as it heads toward the barrel feed ramp. The square end of the slide pawl at the breech drives the cartridge off the magazine between its lips. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh4i...lh/IMG_2817.jpg?dl=0

Posts: 13 | Registered: January 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is the fact that it slightly moves the hammer rearward is an unintended consequence?