SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    sig P239 firing pin positioning pin question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sig P239 firing pin positioning pin question Login/Join 
Picture of hi-power man
posted
P239 9mm SN SA128XXX

I went looking for a firing pin positioning pin. Looking at the unit it appears to be a solid pin. I found one note that the solid pin is discontinued and the roll pin should be used. At one vendor, the solid pin is out of stock but not listed as discontinued. I found the following part numbers:

solid pin - 34224784 - pin 9 - 239 9mm

spiral roll pin - 1200679 - pin 12 - 239 9mm

I cannot find any dimensions for the original pin or the spiral, which probably has a larger OD.

Does anyone have experience with the spiral pin in the older frame ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hi-power man,

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I remember several years ago when this topic of the spiral pin replacing the solid pin. The reason given was the solid pin was breaking.

I am not up on the numbers but only know of one factory spiral pin though so you should be good to go.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Someone else with better knowledge may have a better answer, but...

To use the spiral pin, you may or may not have to have the right side hole in the slide opened up slightly (VERY small amount), I'd call SIG and ask if it is considered necessary. If you do call SIG, please report back what they tell you.

Additional info here...
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...960026294#5960026294

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info fellows. Both my 239 9mm and 40 S&W have solid pins. Looking at the 9mm, down the barrel as sighting to shoot, the hole on the left side appears to be larger than the right side. I do not have a good way to measure, I am using a optical device, but it is not very accurate.

The engineer in my head will not allow me to readily put a straight spring roll pin in a hole with two diameter ends, sections. What does it become, compressed on one end, sloppy on the other ? Will it move when the FP strikes against it ? Would it walk out ? Quick failure ?

I found a note on TGS web site stating the spring rolled pin is not for use on units originally built with the solid pin.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...p-series-spiral.html

So I am on the wait list for the solid pin to be in stock at TGS.

I also notice their is a separate pin for the 239 40S&W. I suspect it is longer, but I wonder if it is the same diameter as the 9mm pin.

I might give Sig a call, but my experience with these type questions is the response does not always resolve the question.

Again, thanks for the info. If I call Sig, I'll post the response.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonPoon
posted Hide Post
Hi-Power, I have a couple of the solid pins that I can send to you. Email me your address, and I'll get them to you. Drive the pin out from Right to Left. and Left to Right for inserting the new pin.

I just looked at both of my P239's, Both 9mm and .40SW are using the same pin.

Semper Fi

Posts: 361 | Registered: March 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
E-mail sent to DonPoon

posted Hide Post
People will argue this point but dry firing can eventually cause the pin to break.
Use snap caps. The inertia from the firing pin slamming causes the firing pin to slam and stop by the pin. Some people dont have problems. Others do.

Posts: 117 | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has always been my understanding that the spiral pin is a universal replacement. IS that now not the best information?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I rebuilt my 239 - 9 with a solid pin.

As I mentioned earlier. I found one note, saying the spiral is now good for all models. Unfortunately I did not record where I read this. On the TGS website, linked above, they have a note saying the spiral pin should not be used to replace the solid pin.

I did not call Sig about this. My experience has never been good when asking technical questions and very often does not resolve the issue. I have found the answers I have needed on this forum.