SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    What happens when you're STUPID!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happens when you're STUPID! Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
Yesterday, I was attempting to transfer the trigger group from my P320X Carry to a Wilson Combat replacement grip frame. After having issues (magazines weren't inserting fully), I removed the trigger group, put it inside a Sig P320 Compact frame and then went on to replace the rear sideplate with an alloy one made by NDZ. I thought everything went well, but at some point while reassembling the pistol, this fell out. I have no idea what this part is, what it's purposes is, and how to get the damn thing back to where it belongs!

I tested the pistol for function and everything seems alright. It's striker seems to function, it resets, the slide moves properly, and the magazines properly insert, lock, and drop when the release is pressed. Any assistance would be appreciated!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10184 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
That's your extractor.

Extractor parts by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks! So it must have come out during the changing of the Striker Cover? Any way to simply return it to where it belongs or do I need a gunsmith? I'm not very mechanical and don't have many tools.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10184 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Got it reassembled!!! Thanks brother!

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Now you are a gunsmith.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Now you are a gunsmith.

And not just a gunsmith, but a successful gunsmith. (Don’t get me started. Wink )

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Now you are a gunsmith.

And not just a gunsmith, but a successful gunsmith. (Don’t get me started. Wink )

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
All's well that ends well.

However, don't tell your grandchildren about this. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
SIG Mag Catch Stop Pin...launched into low earth orbit 2 years ago...and only returned to earth a few days ago.

THIS is what I do when I'm stupid. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
SIG Mag Catch Stop Pin...launched into low earth orbit 2 years ago...and only returned to earth a few days ago.

Congrats on your discovery! Now don't top yourself by putting it in the wrong way. :-) I already admitted to my own stupidity in a different post last month when I crushed my hammer reset spring.

Best,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I couldn't even spell gunsmith expert.

Now I are 1!

Posts: 11806 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

Over the years, I have spent countless hours on my hands and knees, with a flashlight, looking for something (not always small, either) that went into orbit. When I'm lucky and find it, it is a most unusual hiding place. They seem to have a natural propensity to seek out little corners, or travel great distances. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10770 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Yesterday, I was attempting to transfer the trigger group from my P320X Carry to a Wilson Combat replacement grip frame. After having issues (magazines weren't inserting fully), I removed the trigger group, put it inside a Sig P320 Compact frame and then went on to replace the rear sideplate with an alloy one made by NDZ. I thought everything went well, but at some point while reassembling the pistol, this fell out. I have no idea what this part is, what it's purposes is, and how to get the damn thing back to where it belongs!

I tested the pistol for function and everything seems alright. It's striker seems to function, it resets, the slide moves properly, and the magazines properly insert, lock, and drop when the release is pressed. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Wait a second, you guys mean I should not have parts left over? I too have launched parts to black holes. I seem to lose Dillon wrenches too but not for very long. Have done work on my sigs myself but have to admit to handing a bag of parts to a gunsmith, parts too small, hands too shakey, spatial and mechanical reasoning sub par. Can’t see very small detail anymore, etc., Working up the nerve to put a browning HP back together but may decide to send it off for some work and pay a professional. Why is it when watching others videos on kitchen table gunsmithing, the one critical element, the one part that is termed a little tricky is the most out of focus or done off camera? I have my suspicions.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I launched a Ruger Trigger Guard Latch and Trigger Guard Latch Spring into a 35 gallon trash bag full of yard and shop waste. Took me over two hours to find it by sorting the trash on my patio table.

I wouldn't even have known I lost it if I didn't hear it go in. Never even saw the damned thing.

Spring powered parts are the Devil's Business.

I'm a bit more careful now...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12737 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

You're lucky. When I launch them they nefer seem to return to earth.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Some parts vanish like magic. In my garage I have swept the floor, used 1000 lumen lights, searched every square INCH. But somehow they are gone. Never to be seen again, Pooft...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
Some parts vanish like magic. In my garage I have swept the floor, used 1000 lumen lights, searched every square INCH. But somehow they are gone. Never to be seen again, Pooft...

That's because you are not thinking like a fugitive part. They are clever little rascals. I have found them hiding inside boxes and inside of things in boxes.

posted Hide Post
My cat is quite successful at finding my launched parts. When I work on my guns, he lays under the bench, ready to search.
Fine pet!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15974 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's why they make clear plastic bags, to assemble/ disassemble guns in! I came to realize that after spending an hour on hands & knees searching for a 238 safety latch pin that self ejected....

Posts: 468 | Registered: July 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I got in trouble with NASA, I was assembling an Angstadt 10/45AR lower for my 10mm DI upper and launched a rear take down pin's detent into orbit with a near miss of the Space Station. They advised to assemble it inside instead of on a patio table.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Posts: 22 | Location: SEMO | Registered: March 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post