SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Paint remover on P224 slide?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint remover on P224 slide? Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a used P224 and it has a hydrodip graphic that I would like to remove, and I was wondering what chemicals were safe for the slide. I was thinking Citristrip, or acetone but I didn't want to ruin the finish of the slide.

Posts: 12 | Registered: October 30, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Have you tried 99% isopropyl alcohol? It'll take graphics off of cars, it couldn't hurt to see if it'll take your hydro dip off.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Have you tried 99% isopropyl alcohol? It'll take graphics off of cars, it couldn't hurt to see if it'll take your hydro dip off.

I did try rubbing alcohol but it didn't have any effect on it. Brake cleaner might be an option? I'm just afraid of messing up the nitride coating.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I try to avoid giving advice about almost everything, and therefore this isn’t.
I would be astonished if any common solvents capable of removing the coating would affect the Nitron finish of the slide in the slightest. Nitron is a very tough and durable finish and I don’t know how any chemical that didn’t attack the metal itself would harm the finish.

But that’s not advice or a recommendation.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Jasco.

Works on paint on Argentine P35s.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3806 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure.

But I have removed paint from a rifle using dot3 brake fluid.
No harm to the original bluing.

I would try dot3 to remove the clear coat then acetone for the ink.

Good luck.

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
I don't know for sure.

But I have removed paint from a rifle using dot3 brake fluid.
No harm to the original bluing.

I would try dot3 to remove the clear coat then acetone for the ink.

Good luck.

I'm not sure if its clear coated. The graphic has worn off in some spots and exposed the oem finish, and I don't see any chips or anything near the edges like what would happen with clear coat. I'm trying citristrip right now because that worked really well on my 80s honda motorcycle valve cover in removing the clear coat from that, where klean strip did nothing. But so far, citristrip is not working. I'm going to let it sit overnight.

That's a good ide about the dot 3, I'm going to try that next. That seems less abrasive than harsher chemicals like brake cleaner or acetone.

And George43, thanks for the suggestion as well. I'm going to look into that if all else fails. Something's bound to work!

posted Hide Post
Can't help with your original Q. However, have a suggestion and/or fallback position.

I like bead blasted SS slides on my Sigs. Currently, I have five that were done by Sig. They look much better in person than in pictures. If you don't want to mess around with the slide, just send it to Sig for bead blasting (or Nitron). If you mess up the slide trying to remedy the graphics, same thing.

Checked the Sig site and couldn't find a price sheet. Seems you have to phone CS. PITA. Good luck.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Can't help with your original Q. However, have a suggestion and/or fallback position.

I like bead blasted SS slides on my Sigs. Currently, I have five that were done by Sig. They look much better in person than in pictures. If you don't want to mess around with the slide, just send it to Sig for bead blasting (or Nitron). If you mess up the slide trying to remedy the graphics, same thing.

Checked the Sig site and couldn't find a price sheet. Seems you have to phone CS. PITA. Good luck.

Yeah, my fallback was if I couldn't get it off, or messed up the finish I could have the slide and controls nickel plated. I saw it would be like 200 bucks. I'm trying klean strip now, citristrip did nothing. If that doesn't work I'll try dot3 brake fluid, and if that doesn't work, I don't know lol... maybe soak in acetone.

posted Hide Post
Well, nothing so far has worked. This is the most durable paint I have ever seen in my life. Anyone have any other ideas?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wintrix407:
Well, nothing so far has worked. This is the most durable paint I have ever seen in my life. Anyone have any other ideas?

Brake cleaner?

Actual paint stripper?

I don't think those would affect Nitron, or any non-paint/coating gun finishes, but I make you no promises.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
did you try JASCO?

The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3806 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
did you try JASCO?

Yes, I bought some at home depot today and it didn't work either. I've tried jasco, premium klean strip, citristrip, acetone, alcohol, brake cleaner, brake fluid... The plus side is, nothing has messed up the nitron.

secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Try Methyl Ethyl Ketone (Butanone), outdoors.

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
Try Methyl Ethyl Ketone (Butanone), outdoors.

That's not easy to get a hold of here in NY.

https://www.grainger.com/produ...anone-78-93-3-49E845

Is this it?

secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this it?

Yes.

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
quote:

Is this it?

My father in law has some pre-ban paint stripper that I'm going to try. Apparently around 2017 they banned the main ingredient because a couple people used it in unventilated areas and died. Maybe that's why none of these strippers are working.
Yes.

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Soda Blast?

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If it looks like baby poop and you have to use it outside is the one you want.
https://www.dkhardware.com/qar...sTLIBxkaAgrzEALw_wcB

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Methylene Chloride is usually good for what ails you. Stuffs not cheap.

Honestly with all the stuff you have tried so far your getting into what it would have cost to just send the slide off to CCR and have it redone.

I agree, but the only thing I bought was the Jasco stripper. Everything else I already have. I'm thinking to return the Jasco after learning that all the good chemicals are banned!