SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Paint remover on P224 slide?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint remover on P224 slide? Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a case of older brake cleaner locked up in my toolbox at work.
The only thing I use it for is paint removal as the new stuff is like spraying water on it. Won't even remove fresh engine paint.
I mainly use it on painted over data tags, spray on and wipe off.

I've used the baby poo stuff quite a bit years ago on epoxy, urethane, ect.
It used to be pretty nasty stuff, would let you know in a hurry if you got some on you.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried calling and emailing several gun restoration companies and nobody answered me or gave me an estimate. I decided to send it to sig to media blast the slide and a full service on the gun with new sights/springs. It has some feeding issues on the first round of a new mag and it feels like its the paint rubbing on the rails causing it to hang up.

Sig offered free shipping and a reasonable price for the bead blasting. I tried another stripper with the banned chemicals and it did nothing but sizzle a little. I'm starting to think that this hydrodip was cerakote and not standard graphic material. I'll post a pic when I get the gun back. It should be 2-4 weeks. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried everything I could and nothing even put a dent in the paint!

Posts: 12 | Registered: October 30, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got it back today... Less than 2 week turnaround time. It looks amazing! I am considering sending in my p229 for the same service! I love the way it looks. Cost was 220 bucks for the full service on the gun (springs, and new sights) and the bead blasting. They also replaced some trigger components at no extra cost.

Posts: 12 | Registered: October 30, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post