SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220 Threaded barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Threaded barrel Login/Join 
posted
I want to buy a Sig P220 threaded barrel, on the site it says should be fitted by an armorer. Is that just a CYA measure or does it really need an armorers attention?

Thanks!

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: May 20, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Which site are you referring to?
Some offerings by aftermarket manufacturers very likely will require fitting; Bar-Sto’s match barrels come to mind.

If it’s a factory barrel, though, in my experience and what I’ve seen discussed here, they usually don’t require fitting. It isn’t impossible, but unless you’re told something special about that particular barrel, I would consider it to be unlikely. I have had experience with a factory barrel that was a tight fit in the slide and I’ve heard of that’s being true of a few others, but if the barrel can be forced into battery with a little persuasion (e.g., tapping the slide forward), firing a few rounds like that is usually all that’s necessary.

And FWIW, if it does require fitting, most factory-trained armorers have no more training or experience with fitting barrels than anyone else.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they drop right in, sometimes they do not. My P220 TB required just a slight amount of fitting, but it was enough to keep it from dropping in.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, looing at a sig factory barrel .
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Which site are you referring to?
Some offerings by aftermarket manufacturers very likely will require fitting; Bar-Sto’s match barrels come to mind.

If it’s a factory barrel, though, in my experience and what I’ve seen discussed here, they usually don’t require fitting. It isn’t impossible, but unless you’re told something special about that particular barrel, I would consider it to be unlikely. I have had experience with a factory barrel that was a tight fit in the slide and I’ve heard of that’s being true of a few others, but if the barrel can be forced into battery with a little persuasion (e.g., tapping the slide forward), firing a few rounds like that is usually all that’s necessary.

And FWIW, if it does require fitting, most factory-trained armorers have no more training or experience with fitting barrels than anyone else.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: May 20, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barrel was delivered yesterday. Was a perfect fit, shoots great.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that update. Good to know. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post