SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P230/P232 Magazine ***Mystery solved (for Me, not the buyer)***
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P230/P232 Magazine ***Mystery solved (for Me, not the buyer)*** Login/Join 
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted
Brain Trust

I sold a stainless (brushed) P232 magazine (I thought) to a member here. It does not fit in his P232. It is to thick. He compared dimensions with a caliper and they are different. I thought I had used it in mine, but now am questioning that. Hopefully he will chime in with the numbers

The question is, was there a difference between a P230 and P232 magazine? or a different caliper with different dimensions?

It is a stainless (brushed ) magazine marked SigSauer, six witness holes, and a zipperback design

***Update 06/03/2022
Magazine was returned to me and it fits in my P232 with no issue. Loaded rounds and hand cycled thru. My P232 serial # dates it to 2006. The buyer has a 2001 vintage. Still no clue why it does not fit his.
***Update 06/09/2022
Magazine was conveyed to another forum member for his P232. He has reported that the magazine fits his p232 without issue

Pictures sent to buyer of fitment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sj4550,

Posts: 373 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Details: As the frustrated buyer in this deal, the mag in question is 1/32 of an inch thicker than the Sig factory P232 mags that shipped with the firearm. Lined up side by side, this difference is visible. Given the extraordinary tight tolerances of the Sig P232, this difference is enough to cause the mag to exceed the size of the mag well.

Posts: 22 | Location: Fairfax Station, VA | Registered: December 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both models use the same mag. Is this a factory magazine?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
Chris, I sent you some pictures via email if that helps. I assume it was a factory magazine as I have had it several years. I thought I had tried it in my P232, but now i am questioning that.

As far as the buyer being frustrated, I assume it's because he really wanted the extra magazine.

I have told him I would not cash his payment and have asked for the magazine back. Really curious to see if it fits mine or not. It's a mystery

Posts: 373 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No email received.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
sent again to the email listed in your profile

posted Hide Post
Chris: Is this more to say on this question?

Thanks.

Peter

Posts: 22 | Location: Fairfax Station, VA | Registered: December 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, still have no email from sj4550. I emailed him yesterday at the email in his profile; I don't what's going on! And yes, I checked my junk folder.

I meant to look at some of my P230 mags (blued) last night but got busy. I'm pretty sure that a factory mag is going to be marked to identify it as such.

I'm also unsure if the P232 mags differ in their external dimensions by caliber.

posted Hide Post
I have the photo. What's the best email address for you?

posted Hide Post
Is the email address in your profile current?

posted Hide Post
It is.

posted Hide Post
Just sent three pics to your email. The two from SJ4550 are 6MG and 7MG in size, so this may be why you did not get them in his two previous attempts. The third pic is mine and is only 81KB. Let me know if you get these pics. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I just resized and resent the pics.

posted Hide Post
Nothing. emailed you.

Edit; received.

posted Hide Post
Anything more on this magazine issue ? You have the pics Chris ?

Posts: 921 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had random feeding problems with a well used 230, I finally bought two new stainless 232 mags. Never had a bobble since, even with cheap foreign ammo. Traded the crappy mags back to the guy I bought the gun from.....

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for resurrecting this thread...I was using the search feature and didn't notice the year.

Is the fit issue related to the grip screws? If you install without the washers then they may interfere with mag insertion. Check for scrapes on the side of the magazine due to the bottom of the shafts of the grip screws.

P220 (.45)
P225
P226 (9mm)
P228
P229 (.40)
P365
P6
SP2022 (9mm & .40)

"...it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." - Clarence Worley in True Romance

Posts: 370 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post