SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P226 Grip Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Grip Question Login/Join 
posted
My new to me P226 has Hogue grips which are too large for me. Will these grips https://www.ebay.com/itm/185912880014
Sig Sauer P226 Grips New in Box P/N# GRIP-226-BLKPLOY
fit my pistol, and are they smaller than the Hogues. My 226 is an older folded slide model with the long mainspring.
thanks for your help

Posts: 199 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: October 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Retired2006,
I really don't know if the grips you have posted will work, but I doubt it due to grip screw hole size ~ maybe???

Do you have the original grip screws for your folded slide P226?

I expect the screws securing the Hogue grips will work, but if they are longer than the old standard grip screws that might become your biggest problem.

Read this thread and look at the picture of grip screw changes over the years. The original grip screws for folded slide is the first screw on the far left. Sorry, I haven't setup a picture hosting site to repost the picture in your thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...4&s=674608412&cdra=Y

Gray Guns makes new screws for the old, folded slide grips. If you want to go old school, try calling some of the vendors listed in the other thread to find a set of old grips that match your pistol.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My screws are the 226 new style, are they comparable with the grips I asked about ?

Also, are the plastic grips smaller in size than the Hogues ?
Thanks again

Posts: 199 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: October 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Am I reading your post correctly, you have new style P226 grip screws that fit in the frame of a folded slide pistol?

I did not know that was possible. I wonder if the new to you, older P226 pistol was modified. In the folded slide grip screw holes are small screw bushings.

If those bushings were cross-threaded, the bushing had to be replaced. I know once the bushings were impossible to purchase, some people were getting the frames modified rather than replacing the pistol.

If you are able to post pictures of the frame with a close-up of the grip screw and the grip screw holes ~ it would be easier to answer your questions.

My pistol's serial number starts with U143 with JG proof marks indicating 1986 proofing. It has the Tysons Corners mark and the frame has the 3 cut scalloped rails. New grip screws will not fit in my pistol due to the diameter, thread count, and length of the new grip screws.

I am happy to hear your grip screws will fit your older folded slide grip screw holes.

I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your questions. I suspect others will be here in the next day or so that will provide better answers. Look for comments from Chris Orndorff, GaryBF, SigFreund, and Stoic to name just a few...

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for the P226 but on my P229 the Hogues were definitely bigger than the factory two piece plastic grips. I always change to the two piece factory grips as they fit my hand perfectly. The Hogue grip screws should fit the factory grips but if they are a little long you can try putting a #60 rubber O-ring under them or Dremel the tip a little. The factory grips should come with a set of screws also.

Posts: 273 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any measurements for you but I have had those factory grips on my folded slide P226, and I have had Hogue P226 grips in hand at the time. I declined to install the Hogues because they felt much bulkier than the factory grips. Same is true for the Uncle Mikes grips (discontinued).

I have no direct experience with the following...just going by what I recall reading: The E2 grip is supposedly the thinnest. The aluminum Hogues are also pretty thin...maybe in between the E2 and factory plastic.

Also, assuming you don't have any odd modifications, I don't think grip screws will be a problem with the factory grip if you use your existing screws.

P220 (.45)
P225
P226 (9mm)
P228
P229 (.40)
P365
P6
SP2022 (9mm & .40)

"...it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." - Clarence Worley in True Romance

Posts: 375 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While not in direct answer to your post, it seems the grip size is your issue. There are several grip size options available. I have tried two of them on my P226 since I have small-medium hands.

1) Sig OEM E2 grips. Gun came with them. Did not like them. Thin and size good for small hands. However, they were grip sensitive for me. Unless the hand was perfectly placed, the gun would tend to pull low when fired. Since all my practice was draw/fire from a holstered gun, you don't always get a perfect grip. Not desirable in a SD handgun. I'm not a novice and was shooting 150 rounds weekly at the time.

2) Settled on Hogue G10 grips. They are also thin and have good texture on the back strap. The back strap and skateboard tape on the front strap locks the gun in nicely. No bad features like with the E2. Combined them with the Gray Guns Intermediate (length) trigger. Solved all my trigger reach problems on the P226 as well as my P229. Both are .40's.
Come in three textures, I prefer the checkered:
https://gregcotellc.com/cart/hogue-sig-sauer-c-98/

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post