SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Bar-Sto conversion barrel plus what else for a dedicated conversion to 9mm for my P229 chambered in 40S&W?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bar-Sto conversion barrel plus what else for a dedicated conversion to 9mm for my P229 chambered in 40S&W? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I’ve decided to formally convert one of my P229s, chambered in 40S&W, into a dedicated 9mm. I already have a Bar-Sto conversion barrel. What else would I need to make a dedicated 9mm? I know a lot of you have said that is enough but I have enough P229s to make a dedicated change. In addition, is there any specific brand or type of magazine that would work/fit best?
Thanks!

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I would get a 9mm recoil spring and the newer P229-1 / 9mm bottleneck mags will fit your P229/40-357 frame correctly but if you have the P228/229-9mm straight sided mags they will also work ok but if your buying new I would go ahead and get the P229-1/9mm bottleneck mags which will be a true fit.

Some will/have used the P229/40-357 mags without issues but I wouldn't use them for anything but range/fun use.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with Mustang-PaPa. That's how I configured my two P229/40s

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I completely agree with Mustang-PaPa. That's how I configured my two P229/40s

No need for a different extractor? How reliable has your setup been?
Thanks.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My two were range guns and not fired extensively, however, I never had any malfunctions.

I am not even sure that a different extractor exists-I have never looked for one.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
At one time there were different extractors for 357/40 and 9mm P229s. I believe, however, I’ve read that that’s no longer true and one extractor is used for both. Plus, I’ve never heard of any problems for people who use 9mm conversion barrels in 357/40 slides.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I'll get a dedicated guide rod, 9mm recoil spring, and a P229-1 and try her out.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Good to know. I'll get a dedicated guide rod, 9mm recoil spring, and a P229-1 and try her out.

I have this setup a barsto 9mm barrel for my 229s one a steel frame and the only thing I change is the recoil spring. I also have 226s in 9mm alas not in 40 or 357 sig and use the 226 mags in my 229. Haven’t tried the 40 357 mags loaded with 9mm because of that.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post