SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    226 magazine spring length
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 magazine spring length Login/Join 
posted
I ordered some 226 magazine springs for the later Italian magazines. They look like 20 round mag springs as they are 8" long. The retailer is convinced they are correct, but they are a full 2" longer than the original German ones. Unfortunately I do not have any of the later mags to pull springs out of to compare. Can anyone clarify?
thanks, fuzzy

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found that replacement springs in magazines, recoil springs and many other springs are longer when new, as compared to ones that have been under tension for some time and have developed a "set point".
I recently purchased some used S&W 6906 magazines and ordered new replacement springs and was shocked that the new springs were 3" longer than the original springs I removed. Same thing with the recoil spring that the new one was at least 1.5" longer than the old one.
I would not be concerned at all.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which magazine are you looking for springs for? I have springs for the old SWAT style 20 rounders and the old German 15 rounders.

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. Vinnie, the springs I Am comparing are both new, so compression is not the issue.
Funnymech, actually, I am not looking for any springs. I have springs, I am only trying to verify the proper length.
Fuzzy

posted Hide Post
If you need, I can measure the two new springs I have.

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
funnymech,
Thanks for the offer, I think I may have found the answer. I spoke to Wolff about their versions. Their springs for the current Italian mags are also 2 to 3 coils longer than the old German ones. Since they are dual profile (tapered at top) the top coils compress into the lower on compression. That is how the spring can be longer and still function properly. Again thanks for the offer on springs but the older ones I already had plenty of.
fuzzy

avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
The regular P226 15 rd springs are 8 1/4" long and the wire is bigger and coils are larger than the
18 rd springs which are much weaker looking and smaller and only 7 7/8" long. Both are Mec-Gar.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would like to see a comprehansive article on mag springs for the P-series, from the 10,13,15,17,18,20(old/new) mag springs. as the general springs avail are just the 15 rounders, you rarely see the other springs. The Spring tensions, coil turns, length, ect. Would the mag extensions change the spring tension much? Seems like the +2/5 would weaken spring as much to affect the feed speed.

sig nut', haulin' 3 sig 228's

Posts: 264 | Location: over lookin' beach and border | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post