SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Another dumb question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another dumb question Login/Join 
posted
Does the colered end of the recoil spring go towards the muzzle or back towards the chamber?

I promise I will learn this stuff and stop asking questions.

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the rear of the gun towards the chamber. Never hurts to ask. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Except when the wrong end of the spring gets painted. The tight end of the spring goes on the guide rod first, even if the paint is on the loose end. It happens.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Except when the wrong end of the spring gets painted.

Yes: The mnemonic is “tight is right.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a p228 9mm parts kit (Yes, it was a factory kit) and when I opened the package the recoil spring had NO colored marking at one end...on top of that, inserting the guide rod from either direction was exactly the same - no 'tight' end.

I guess it really didn't matter - the gun worked fine after reassembly.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flwing:
I just bought a p228 9mm parts kit (Yes, it was a factory kit) and when I opened the package the recoil spring had NO colored marking at one end...on top of that, inserting the guide rod from either direction was exactly the same - no 'tight' end.

I guess it really didn't matter - the gun worked fine after reassembly.

No, if there’s no tight end—and sometimes there isn’t—then it doesn’t matter.

It may help to understand the whys of all this:

First, SIG does not recommend removing the recoil spring from the guide for routine maintenance. That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with doing that, only that it’s not required. For some users then, having a spring that’s sort of captive on the rod is a good thing because it doesn’t just fall off when the gun is field stripped.

And if there’s going to be a tight end that keeps the spring on the guide, then it needs to be at the back of the rod by the flange. Why? Because if it were at the front, that extra friction caused by its being tight there would interfere with free movement of the slide. It would hinder movement to the rear, and the spring might not push the slide all the way forward. If the tight end is at the rear of the guide, it doesn’t slide back and forth on the guide rod; it just stays in one place.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post