SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Magazine sticks when release pushed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine sticks when release pushed Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted
Have an AB ser numbered P229. Prob has less than 5k through it. The magazine recently started sticking when I push the mag release button. What parts do I need to change to remedy this and what else should I change while I am in there? Only factory mags being used.

Thanks in advance

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
What grips and grip screws do you have on the gun and were they recently changed?

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Hogue G-10 grips which have been on for years. No recent changes.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If it just started, then obviously it’s because something changed.
The most likely explanation is that something has gotten dirty/gunked up, and probably the magazine catch in some way, or perhaps even the magazine well.

I would start by cleaning the inside of the mag well, and especially around the magazine catch. You could use some sort of gun “scrubber” product that doesn’t leave any residue, but even 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol on an old toothbrush followed by a good wipe with a rag or paper towel might do.

If that doesn’t work, perhaps something is going on with the magazine catch. I can’t really imagine how that would cause the magazine to stick, but ….

The next step would be to remove the mag catch and clean it and its recess.
If you decide to do that MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you learn how to remove the catch, and ESPECIALLY how to reinstall it properly. If you decide to wing it and “How hard can it be?” it, you may find out how hard it can be. If the mag catch stop is installed improperly, it will jam the catch and will probably require factory servicing to correct.

I suppose it’s also possible that something happened with the catch; perhaps the projection that engages the magazine slot is chipped or broken. In that case you’d need a new one, and then note the warning above. If you replace the magazine catch, I would replace the spring as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Very good. I might just ship it to Sig for their complete service.

Thank you all.