SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Removing Machine Turned 'Jeweling' From 1911 Parts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Machine Turned 'Jeweling' From 1911 Parts Login/Join 
Picture of TexasRaider
posted
I was bequeathed a circa 1979 Colt Combat Commander in nickel finish that I really want to return back to a factory look.

At some point, the pistol was taken to a gunsmith who did a jeweling job on the barrel, trigger and hammer. I might be able to find period correct replacement parts, but I'd rather keep those that came with it if possible. However, the jeweling (or machine turned finish if you prefer) really needs to go.

Is it possible to remove this and restore these parts back to a their factory appearance?
Thanks

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
ICBW*, but my suspicion is polishing-down the barrel enough to remove the jeweling would probably adversely affect the barrel/bushing fit, thus impacting accuracy.

* I Could Be Wrong

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
^^^^ What he said.
If the Colt operated 100% reliable, and was accurate, "I" would do nothing.
Likely will take new parts to get rid of the jeweling.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1530 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Jeweling is a very light swirl finish with some light abrasive on a wooden dowel or similar type abrasive rod on very low speed on polished steel. Hence it should be easily removed with some light sandpaper as it is not deep. It is not a type of engraving or other deeper finish. Imagine a mirror and then taking 2000 grit sandpaper and spinning it in a circle to make hazy swirl marks on the mirror. It will be very noticeable, but not deep at all (at least with traditional jeweling). It typically required polishing of the metal first because the abrasive is so light, it wont show otherwise if there is any roughness of the metal.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the jeweling on the barrel is on ONLY the chamber area no problem. If the entire barrel was done well good luck...Use 1000 grit wet n dry paper on it and the sides of the hammer and trigger and enjoy...Make sure you know what you are doing so it doesn't end up looking like Bubba "fixed" it.

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post