SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Any Richmond VA area "armorers" around?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Richmond VA area "armorers" around? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Say a fellow wanted to replace sights on a S&W M&P 9 Compact. Hammers and drift punches are not something that make sense, given the potential damage. But, with experience, maybe possible? I hate to pay big bucks for a pair of sights, and then mangle the slide up. I'd have to order a vise, jaws, mount the vise, find the hammer, take calming sedative drugs, and then try to install the sights. If you know of a fine fellow in the Richmond VA area who might be able to do the job, let me know. Otherwise I will probably send the slide off to Dawson or similar purveyor.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will have to look for my paperwork but I swear the gentleman I used for an FFL a few times did armorers work and didn't charge much of anything.

He lived down off Patterson Road just inside the Goochland Line.

Most of my stuff is packed up to get ready to relocate to ND. I will look tonight to see if I can find him name. I know I used him when I "won" a P229 off gunbroker.

Gorgeous house, workshop, and barn.

Now this was a few years ago, (I relocated 2.5 years ago to NC) but I think it was Colonial Shooting I was going to use to get night sights put on my SW MP45. It wasn't very much but like I said that was a few years ago.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Patterson just inside the Goochland line would be literally walking distance from my castle.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
hammer and punch are the wrong tools for the job, anyways. An MGW sight pusher is needed. If I had shoes for a S&W, I'd happily do it for you but the shoes are $25 plus shipping to/from as I'm in NoVA.

CSA would be my recommendation for a local RVA shop that will do it right. Usually, most shops charge $25-35 to do sight swap...free if you buy the sights from them.

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe greentop does that type of work. I always recommend them over CSA.

TTI is my go to gun smith in the area but I'm not sure he does this level of work.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GreenTop will do it free if you buy the sights from them. If not they probably charge a fee.

Posts: 96 | Location: VA | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you purchase the sights from Greentop, they will replace at no additional charge. I had them replace the sights on a few guns and that was the situation.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post