SIGforum
220ST recoil springs?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/3350071094

March 08, 2022, 09:00 AM
mike56
220ST recoil springs?
220ST (45acp, steel frame and slide. Original is braided but no color code.

Sig has 20lb green springs. Wolffee said they don't carry anything that will work.

Is there a difference in spring rates for a steel frame vs a alloy frame 220? Both slides are stainless.
March 08, 2022, 09:46 AM
sigfreund
Although I can expect some pundit to chime in with “Your theories are just stupid,” in theory the stainless steel slides could get by with a lighter spring because they’re a few grams heavier, but I have never seen a full size P220 multistrand twisted wire recoil spring color coded with anything other than green paint.

I’m surprised that Wolff said they couldn’t help. I suspect that whoever said that just didn’t know what was being asked. Any recoil spring suitable for the full size P220 or 357/40 P226 will work.

And to pick a final nit about terminology, SIG multistrand recoil springs aren’t “braided,” the wires are twisted around a central axis. This is braided. Smile

Added: And just to be certain, I pulled my P220ST out and confirmed that it has a green paint recoil spring.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato