SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Is it just the lube?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it just the lube? Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a used P229 today that was completely dry (not dirty, just dry). I tried to load it but it would jam on HP or FMJ using the slide release. Without the slide or ammo it would rack if I pulled back all the way, but if I only pulled it part way it would bind and not go into battery. I then oiled the heck out of it and everything seems to be working fine now. Did it just need lube or should I keep looking for any issues?

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was most likely just the lube. Sigs like ARs like to be run wet.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've seen this a few times with friends' guns.

It just needed lube.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
As Bruce Grey sez:

"Get some..."

https://brianenos.com/slide-gl...-review-duane-thomas

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of USMC2PD
posted Hide Post
If your weapon has a lot of use or is older you might consider replacing the recoil spring. Also a good cleaning if not regularly done.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 226 that didn’t fire, the previous owner used so much lube the firing pin could not move properly. After a good cleaning it is one of my favorites,

Posts: 18 | Location: Miami, Florida | Registered: August 10, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig-Sig:
I bought a 226 that didn’t fire, the previous owner used so much lube the firing pin could not move properly.

When that happens it’s not the amount of lube used, but where.
Keep lubricants and solvents out of the firing pin or striker channel and that problem won’t occur.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC2PD:
If your weapon has a lot of use or is older you might consider replacing the recoil spring. Also a good cleaning if not regularly done.

+1.
If you don't know the round count, you may want grab a new recoil spring.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Your 'new to you' (used) P229 was very likely FILTHY prior to being offered for sale and hosed down with Gun Scrubber, 'Brākleen' or something similar. It's very possible the Trigger mechanism is dry too...It may not have had ANY lube anywhere! Eek

You'd be well advised to detail strip, inspect thoroughly, and lube as appropriate. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Yep.

Even if you're not an amateur gunsmith, every owner should learn how to detail strip the firearm. It is an opportunity to clean/inspect and lube individual parts and wear patterns. I also find a certain amount of satisfaction in understanding how the gun works.

Also, you may want to consider replacing all or some of the internal springs like TBS, Trigger Reset Spring, etc.

Here's a link with step-by-step (+pics). There are probably a lot of videos out there as well.
Link:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/-/14-118625/?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
I find it curious how many folks feel the need to disassemble their firearms down to bare frame. When is the last time you took your car's braking system completely apart? How about the airbags?

Posts: 274 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I recently 'Detail Stripped' an Audi S5 4.2L V8 to clean the intake ports... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post