SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P229 DA question Follow up Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 DA question Follow up Question Login/Join 
posted
I am looking at a P229 E2 in 9mm, and noticed that if you dry fire it DA, the trigger will not return all the way forward to dry fire it again. If you push the trigger forward it will click and operate like my other sig pistols (P220, P226).
Is this normal, if not, what is the most likely cause ?
Also, what is the "E2" mean ?

First thanks for the reply.
Another question, can I install the old 229 screw on grips to this pistol, are they the same as the P228 screw on grip ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: retired2006,

Posts: 199 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: October 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
No, not normal. The trigger should always reset itself after pulling it fully to drop the hammer.

My thought is there is a problem with the trigger bar spring. The “E2” refers to the fact that the pistol has the one-piece grip. Installing that grip can be tricky and cause problems with the trigger bar spring if not done correctly. If it’s a used gun you’re looking at, I suspect that’s what happened. It may be necessary to replace the TBS if it’s been damaged.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another question, can I install the old 229 screw on grips to this pistol, are they the same as the P228 screw on grip ?

Yes and yes (except for the marking on the factory plastic grip panels).

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would either send it back, or start with a trigger bar spring.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you a nickel that someone bent the trigger bar spring removing the grip or the spring isn't installed correctly. Cheap simple fix that I've had to make more than once...

Grips are interchangeable. I MAY even have a spare set of both 228 and 229 marked grips around here somewhere. If you need them I'll see if I can find where I put them. All my Sigs with the exception of my duty weapon wear G10.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post