SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Odd problem with an aftermarket Glock slide.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd problem with an aftermarket Glock slide. Login/Join 
posted
I bought an aftermarket Svenson Glock Gen 3 slide pre set up for a Vortex Venom. I installed an OEM Glock slide kit into it. The parts all went into it correctly. I think, anyway!
Problem:
When the firing pin safety is pressed in, it frees up the firing pin to enter the chamber. With the firing pin safety depressed, the firing pin and striker should move forward freely. But on this slide, it is frozen in place with the firing pin just short of entering the chamber. I cant see what is keeping the striker / firing pin from travelling the last short distance to clear the slide. The hole in the slide for the firing pin is the proper size. I tested it from the chamber side and it fits fine.
Anyone else have this problem? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try it with the fp safety removed.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: The more I thought about it, the more I figured there had to be something in the channel through the slide for the striker / firing pin that is freezing it up. I managed to get a strong enough light into the channel and sure enough, there was some kind of gunk in there. I made a makeshift scraper from a wire coat hanger and managed to get it cleaned out. Possibly something that was caused by the Ceracoat process?
Anyway, the slide functions properly now. This was a risky kind of thing at best as I went cheap ($400+ for a bare aftermarket Glock slide - nope). The Venom bolted right to it with no adapter plate so the only thing left to do is shoot it.
Thanks for the response!

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thx for the update!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a minor aside the channel liner went in without any issues? I would think a coating issue would have affected the whole channel. anyway just curious.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The channel liner went in without problem. AIM Surplus had a channel liner tool with an extra liner packaged together for 5 bucks. The tool made the job easy. The only other issue with the project was the firing pin safety channel in the slide was a little sticky. But a quick polish with a Dremel solved that!

posted Hide Post
This thread is one reason I always stayed away from aftermarket coated slides. (almost always lol)

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was very leery of the Svenson slide. Reviews are mixed. But this is my first optic slide build so I did not want to go all in on a high $$$ slide on my first jump. The price for the Svenson was... 79 bucks. I hope to shoot it next week and see how it runs.