SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Recommendations for repainting Sig 'i' type sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for repainting Sig 'i' type sights Login/Join 
Picture of toxophilus84
posted
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on repainting the standard Von Stavenhagen (dot-bar configuration) sights on an older P245.

For those of you who have done this what seemed to work best for you?

Did you remove the old paint?

I'm thinking of sealing it with a clear lacquer after applying the new paint...

For those you that have painted other parts of your pistol (such as the Sig Sauer markings), what type(s) of paint have worked for you?

thx in advance, RSilva

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
For sights, I remove any existing paint then degrease the area to be repainted with acetone. My paint of choice is Testors hobby enamel. Instead of using a brush, I use the tip of a sharp toothpick to collect a very small amount of paint which I dab on the area to be painted - allowing the paint to flow into the recess. For best results use as little paint as possible. If you go too heavy on your first attempt, simply clean with acetone and repeat. Good luck.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
As above, but last time I did it I removed the rear sight. It made it easier, at least for me.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've used Appliance Epoxy specifically for that purpose. Came out perfect. Very abrasion-resistant and has the right amount of gloss. Comes in convenient little touch-up jars like White-out.

For lettering I've used water-based acrylics (did the lettering on my P229 that way). WBA is not soluble to oils, and in fact is no longer soluble to water once it cures. Have had good luck with Tamiya model paints also in nice small jars.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post