SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Remington 51...Reblue Slide ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 51...Reblue Slide ? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
My first posting in this section.

I've wanted a Remington 51 ever since seeing one
At a local gunshop couple of years ago. I missed buying that one, unfortunately.

So, I'm always browsing for one I could afford. Couple of weeks ago, I found one for $350. Most of them are going $500 up for a decent gun. This one shows some wear, but there is no pitting, everything mechanical is good, very good bore, no pitting.

After a breakdown and cleaning, ( don't think it had ever been cleaned), the frame and controls retain about 75% original bluing.

However, the slide is just about in the white.

Which is why I'm here.

Considering having the slide re blued, in satin/ bead blast hot blue.. Which of course ruins what collector value the pistol may have.

I don't want a high polish finish, but don't want the bare slide either.

Am I in error wanting to reblue the slide?

It's the only part I would have refinished.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now you have a 0% slide and a 75% frame. Reblue the slide only and you will be at 100% - 75% which will still look odd. I would get the whole gun blued to match if refinished at all.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I found a slide in good condition on Ebay, and bought it. I'll have the replacement slide blued, and keep the original as is.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GerryR
posted Hide Post
You might be interested in this:

http://r51pistol.com/index.php/topic,773.0.html

http://r51pistol.com/index.php/topic,654.45.html

"Common sense isn't as common as it once was!"
"Good judgement comes from experience which comes from bad judgement."
www.TotalAutomation.us

Posts: 1220 | Location: Virginia | Registered: September 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you. But mine is the original Model 51, not the remake.

美しい犬

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Turnbull in Louisville TN for restoration of period correct bluing.

Similar experts can be found through searches.

Key will be re-engraving of original roll marks.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post