SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Does anyone polish extractors ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone polish extractors ?? Login/Join 
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by rmfnla:
I don’t doubt that you believe what you posted; I’m just saying it’s not correct.
So, I'm not a liar. I'm just imagining things. Do I have that right?

I just said I didn’t intend to call you a liar, and I apologized for giving you that impression.

Is your need to be right so compelling you can’t be gracious enough to accept an apology?

You know, go ahead and drop me if you want; I’m a gun guy, not a psychologist.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I guess you didn't read my last post where I told you that you're welcome to stay. I had chosen to disregard you not responding to my question, when you had instead responded to someone else.

It's you who lack graciousness. Your pseudo apology was let stand. Reading is fundamental.

I'm not going to "drop" you. Leave if you want, stay if you want. If I wanted to ban you, you'd be gone already. It's your responsibility to make your own decisions.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
OK, so now that the pecking order is established, you're welcome to stay in the forum if you wish.

Cool

posted Hide Post
Polishing an extractor will not increase accuracy. The extractor has one purpose: to extract the spent cartridge. The geometry of the extractor will determine several things, including the way the round is ultimately to leave the action after impacting the ejector, and the trajectory that it takes. The finish of the extractor face might arguably made to contribute to reliability by polishing, but only insofar as the cartridge rim slips under it. Any polishing beyond what is necessary to allow the extractor to ride along the rim as the rim feeds up under it, will contribute to neither accuracy nor reliability.

Dropping a slide on a chambered round and forcing the extractor can and does cause failed extractors, particularly on those pistols not designed to do that. Whether the extractor tension is maintained by spring pressure or by the extractor stiffness and bend (eg, 1911's without an external extractor), forcing the extractor over the rim of the cartridge instead of allowing the cartridge to slide up from under the extractor, between the extractor claw and the breech face, is going to impart a load to that extractor which can, and sometimes does result in extractor failure. I have seen such failures in handguns and rifles.

Any "gunsmith" that is selling a polished extractor face as a contributor to accuracy is selling snake oil.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
<<snip>>
If it sounded like I called you a liar I do apologize. I don’t doubt that you believe what you posted; I’m just saying it’s not correct.

And yes, parts do occasionally fail but trust me, a spring-loaded extractor is designed to allow closing the slide on a chambered round.

And one more thing: I’m a terrific gunsmith!

OMG man... what a dumbass! You keep being a smart-ass to Para and he gonna give ya da boot, and I'm gonna laugh my ass off when he does because you have been warned, but you're apparently too dense to get what he's sayin'! This is HIS house, not yours. Don't be so damned disrespectful to the man!!! Geez... he probably knows more about guns than you and I combined, and I've been shooting for over 50 years now!

Edit to add: Just saw Para said you could stay. He has better self-control than I do these days!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
<<snip>>
If it sounded like I called you a liar I do apologize. I don’t doubt that you believe what you posted; I’m just saying it’s not correct.

And yes, parts do occasionally fail but trust me, a spring-loaded extractor is designed to allow closing the slide on a chambered round.

And one more thing: I’m a terrific gunsmith!

OMG man... what a dumbass! You keep being a smart-ass to Para and he gonna give ya da boot, and I'm gonna laugh my ass off when he does because you have been warned, but you're apparently too dense to get what he's sayin'! This is HIS house, not yours. Don't be so damned disrespectful to the man!!! Geez... he probably knows more about guns than you and I combined, and I've been shooting for over 50 years now!

Edit to add: Just saw Para said you could stay. He has better self-control than I do these days!

Here's a thought: Try following the facts of the conversation rather than the personalities.

Fact: Closing a slide on a chambered round doesn't harm a spring-loaded extractor regardless of who owns the forum or how long he's been into guns.

And, in case you didn't notice, I apologized for anything that sounded like disrespect because, apparently unlike you, that wasn't my intention.

Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Polishing an extractor will not increase accuracy. The extractor has one purpose: to extract the spent cartridge. The geometry of the extractor will determine several things, including the way the round is ultimately to leave the action after impacting the ejector, and the trajectory that it takes. The finish of the extractor face might arguably made to contribute to reliability by polishing, but only insofar as the cartridge rim slips under it. Any polishing beyond what is necessary to allow the extractor to ride along the rim as the rim feeds up under it, will contribute to neither accuracy nor reliability.

Dropping a slide on a chambered round and forcing the extractor can and does cause failed extractors, particularly on those pistols not designed to do that. Whether the extractor tension is maintained by spring pressure or by the extractor stiffness and bend (eg, 1911's without an external extractor), forcing the extractor over the rim of the cartridge instead of allowing the cartridge to slide up from under the extractor, between the extractor claw and the breech face, is going to impart a load to that extractor which can, and sometimes does result in extractor failure. I have seen such failures in handguns and rifles.

Any "gunsmith" that is selling a polished extractor face as a contributor to accuracy is selling snake oil.

I don't think anyone mentioned accuracy as a reason to polish an extractor face.

I did use the term "accurizing" but that was meant to describe a whole gunsmithing package (think Pre-Kimber 1911s), not the reason for one specific part.

My apologies if that was misleading in any way.

Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
If the gun is reliable, don't touch it. If you're only curious, just check the extractor and see if there are any burrs or unusual wear.

It's like polishing feed ramps. If the gun feeds well, don't touch it. Shiny does not necessarily mean better.

I'm a decent amateur gunsmith. The reason I'm "decent" is I don't fix what ain't broke.

"Ain't broke" is sometimes a gray area.

I noticed copper smearing on the feed ramp of my P365 so I did a quick polish job.

That Nitron stuff isn't the best surface for that area, and the fact that SIG offers this as part of their Action Enhancement Package bears that out.

posted Hide Post
Polishing a feedramp, in most cases, is a vanity exercise. You saw copper streaks because they showed up against the nitron coloring. That did nothing to enhance reliability, but only cosmetics.

Polishing certainly isn't going to hurt. It would be inaccurate to say that nitron manufacturer finish on the feed ramp needs to be removed. It's removed because its cosmetic. Cheap upsell, like polishing extractors.

Add a few extra bucks to the price of the "enhancement package," and people won't bat an eye. Easy upsell. Money maker.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Polishing a feedramp, in most cases, is a vanity exercise. You saw copper streaks because they showed up against the nitron coloring. That did nothing to enhance reliability, but only cosmetics.

Polishing certainly isn't going to hurt. It would be inaccurate to say that nitron manufacturer finish on the feed ramp needs to be removed. It's removed because its cosmetic. Cheap upsell, like polishing extractors.

Add a few extra bucks to the price of the "enhancement package," and people won't bat an eye. Easy upsell. Money maker.

The polished surface doesn't get copper streaks, which says "less friction" to me.

Hardly only cosmetic.