SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    1995 P226 conversion to newer style mainspring & Seat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1995 P226 conversion to newer style mainspring & Seat Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a P226 (KF -1995) from a friend this week. Gun is nice but has terrible aftermarket grips. I want to update to the newer plastic Sig grips (not E2).
I have a large plastic main spring seat, mainspring 1 and need a hammer strut. I have some confusion, which of these would be the proper fit for a 1995 German frame? HAMMER-STRUT-6 or this one:
https://www.midwestgunworks.co.../mgwi/prod/1200625-R

Posts: 13 | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Check out this link. It provides some excellent information on the topic.

https://www.realgunreviews.com...inspring-assemblies/

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read that link and it's what created my question about the two different parts that are both called out for the 226.

Posts: 13 | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Along with SRT, short triggers, TBS, etc., this is one more point of confusion over the past several years regarding Sig pistols.

Let me try and translate/simplify. I've run the gamut on these changes on my P229 (1996) and P226R (2011) and have used every variation from the original Old Style non-plastic base assembly to both New plastic base assemblies.

1) Either plastic base assembly can be used in ANY P226. HINT: Follow the pictures rather than the nomenclature.

2) Look at the picture in the link. Top is long base (non-E2 only), bottom is short base (E2 AND non-E2). Each strut is specific to the base.

3) Long base (top) is the original plastic and has been discontinued. If you have that, you have to see if you can locate the matching strut. Good luck on that.

4) Short base has replaced the long. It's the only version of the two currently produced and is currently installed in all P226 and P229 production. Therefore, the short base and the corresponding strut are more likely to be in stock somewhere. The short base was developed for the E2 grips specifically. They have less clearance at the back strap than the standard two-piece panels.

5) The discontinued long base will ONLY fit standard two-panel grips. The newer short base will fit E2 grips AND standard two-panel grips.

6) BOTH plastic base/strut assemblies use the same mainspring (hammer spring). At least that was the case a couple of years ago.

7) Your link shows the strut for the now discontinued long plastic base. TGS shows the discontinued long plastic base in stock though. Go figure. Must still be inventory floating around.

SUMMARY: You will have to buy a corresponding strut for your discontinued long base. OR, you can just buy a new short base and the corresponding strut. Your choice, depending on availability. Either will fit your P226.

Here's a link to TGS. If an item is not In-stock, use the e-mail notification feature and they will e-mail you when it is available:

https://www.topgunsupply.com/g...mer-struts-pins.html
https://www.topgunsupply.com/g...n-springs-seats.html

SIDEBAR: (1) I installed and tested both versions (long & short) in my P226 (and P229). The discontinued (non-E2) long base resulted in a better DA trigger and is what I have installed. The short base (E2) was not nearly as good.

Welcome to the Forum. If I can clarify anything else, let me know.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Along with SRT, short triggers, TBS, etc., this is one more point of confusion over the past several years regarding Sig pistols.

Let me try and translate/simplify. I've run the gamut on these changes on my P229 (1996) and P226R (2011) and have used every variation from the original Old Style non-plastic base assembly to both New plastic base assemblies.

1) Either plastic base assembly can be used in ANY P226. HINT: Follow the pictures rather than the nomenclature.

2) Look at the picture in the link. Top is long base (non-E2 only), bottom is short base (E2 AND non-E2). Each strut is specific to the base.

3) Long base (top) is the original plastic and has been discontinued. If you have that, you have to see if you can locate the matching strut. Good luck on that.

4) Short base has replaced the long. It's the only version of the two currently produced and is currently installed in all P226 and P229 production. Therefore, the short base and the corresponding strut are more likely to be in stock somewhere. The short base was developed for the E2 grips specifically. They have less clearance at the back strap than the standard two-piece panels.

5) The discontinued long base will ONLY fit standard two-panel grips. The newer short base will fit E2 grips AND standard two-panel grips.

6) BOTH plastic base/strut assemblies use the same mainspring (hammer spring). At least that was the case a couple of years ago.

7) Your link shows the strut for the now discontinued long plastic base. TGS shows the discontinued long plastic base in stock though. Go figure. Must still be inventory floating around.

SUMMARY: You will have to buy a corresponding strut for your discontinued long base. OR, you can just buy a new short base and the corresponding strut. Your choice, depending on availability. Either will fit your P226.

Here's a link to TGS. If an item is not In-stock, use the e-mail notification feature and they will e-mail you when it is available:

https://www.topgunsupply.com/g...mer-struts-pins.html
https://www.topgunsupply.com/g...n-springs-seats.html

SIDEBAR: (1) I installed and tested both versions (long & short) in my P226 (and P229). The discontinued (non-E2) long base resulted in a better DA trigger and is what I have installed. The short base (E2) was not nearly as good.

Welcome to the Forum. If I can clarify anything else, let me know.

Thank for posting this. I have an older and a newer 226 and like the longer base on the older one. The newer one has SRT trigger so feels really different. They both have high enough round counts that they are broken in and baring a trip to GG or similar the triggers won’t get any better and that is probably ok.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10-4. Glad it was helpful.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post