SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Can a Tikka t3x tac a1 6.5 creedmoor easily be converted to a .308
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a Tikka t3x tac a1 6.5 creedmoor easily be converted to a .308 Login/Join 
Picture of Knezz
posted
Greetings,

Can a Tikka t3x tac a1 6.5 creedmoor easily be converted to a .308?

What would be the process to do so?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The rifles are the same except for the barrels.

Someone more knowledgeable than I would have to say how difficult a barrel change would be, but it obviously can be done. I seem to recall that changing Tikka barrels is somewhat more difficult than other makes’, but don’t let that deter you from actually checking.

Based on reviews and other references I’m seeing these days, Tikkas are gaining significant followings and that’s good from the standpoint of having them worked on.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easily is a judgement call. Its not made to be easily swapped like some guns. But of course the Tikka barrel can be swapped. In my experience Sako barrels have above average annoyance on getting them out, but there are lots of people who do it.
Not sure the cost of a .308 barrel? So you might find it more economical to just swap rifles with someone as there are probably more 6.5cm fans than .308 fans.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t say it’s easy, but very doable with the right tools. I changed a barrel on a Tikka last year, taking off the factory barrel and putting on a Proof pre-fit carbon fiber barrel. A good barrel vice and action wrench are a must. There’s lots of info online if you do a little research. Because Tikka’s are manufactured to such tight and consistent tolerances, this is possible. Not so much with a Remington 700 as there’s lots of variation in receiver specs over the years with those.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 241 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I just removed a factory 6.5 Creedmoor from a CTR (basically the same as the TAC) and it was on there good. I had to soak the threads in Kroil oil for about a week (well, that's how long I left it) and use a Wheeler Rem 700 wrench (top insert flipped over to rest on flats of Tikka receiver) with a hell of an effort. It finally broke free and I was sweating like the gym. The modular short action customs tool wouldn't break it free.
I put an Osprey Pre-Fit MTU profile on and the headspacing came out perfect without any chamber reaming. I torqued it with the Short Action Customs modular tool. Apparently Tikka holds their tolerances very close so the pre-fit shoulder works out. I rent head space gauges and reamers from 4D Reamers in Montana.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post