SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Colt ‘Cobra’ Gunsmith Options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt ‘Cobra’ Gunsmith Options? Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted
I bought this gun the other day, I looked a little more. I thought it was older, but says ‘Cobra’ in the barrel. I now think it dates to the mid 60’s, also has the lightweight, aluminum side plate & frame.

One frame screw is about impossibly ‘frozen’, the one to remove the cylinder. The side plate was easily removed, dry & gunky inside.

Since I can’t get the cylinder release screw out, I see no reason to remove internal parts of the action.

I see two shops that get high marks, one in NE, other in AZ. The NE one is booked up 18 months.

I’m not trying for a cost/benefit analysis, just looking at options to get it cleaned up & checked. I may ask a local shop on recommendations.

I took it to a shop about 40 minutes away, gets good reviews. He said he was ‘familiar’ with the gun, has worked on them before.

Right now the action is pretty good, still the stuck screw. I’ll let him have a go at it, don’t need a total rework.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sourdough44,

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Good luck, hope he can get it freed up and looked at for you. One good option is the Colt custom shop in Montana. They do very good work, and fast turn around time. Like within 45 days usually. You can check out their website, just search for them by the name. Just depends on pricing for what you want done.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I got a new screw from gunpartscorp.com, with associated hardware.

The cylinder is freed up. I’ll bring the screw by the smith in the next two days. Once the stripped screw is removed & replaced I should be good to go.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post