SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Slide Break in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slide Break in Login/Join 
posted
Hi All
Just installed a new optics cut SIG slide on my P320 X Compact. Haven't fired it yet, but noticed that the slide will not go all the way forward if I ease it closed. I can push it closed. However, if I rack the slide or use the slide release, it is fine. This slide did not come with a recoil spring or barrel. Any thoughts?

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The barrel may be a tight fit due to tolerance differences. I have seen something similar with Classic line SIG pistols, and usually just firing the gun will wear it in enough to eliminate the hesitation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47367 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of USMC2PD
posted Hide Post
Never "ease" a slide forward. Let the slide go and the spring do its job. Not designed to be eased forward. This will cause a malfunction.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yup. This is something that needs to be drilled into every gun owner's head. When the gun is in real operation, the slide moves back and forth with violent forces. Easing the slide in resulting in it not going into full battery, or gently racking the slide back resulting in round not properly ejected, is not a measure of anything meaningful regarding the gun's proper operations.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
As an aside, there is a theory on ‘no shoot-break-ins’ of sorts. Just as you would imagine, new gun, empty, magazine out, some lube, then rack the slide a BUNCH. Of course we like to shoot, buts it’s a little something one can do before we get to the range. I think it was more popular when ammo was in short supply.

Eventually nothing can take the place of shooting then testing real ammo.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post