SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig Threaded barrel issue, thoughts?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sig Threaded barrel issue, thoughts? Login/Join 
posted
I have a SIG 320 Carry TACOPS with a Sig Threaded 9mm barrel.

Only one problem, I can't get the thread protector off the barrel. It is on there tight.

I have used every oil I have thinking it might break it free, no luck.

Thoughts?

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Did you try turning it the other way?

I think the factory barrels are metric threaded (left hand)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried turning both ways, and not movement at all.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Try some cold/heat next. Put the barrel in the freezer for a few hours and then try it. If that doesn't work, apply heat judiciouusly. The thing is you don't know if it is just tight or they used thread locker.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the cold/heat works. I remember having issues with my S&W MP22C. I ended up wrapping the thread protector in tape and using vice grips to get it off. They had a gorilla working in the factory is my guess.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got it off, thanks for all the ideas.

I was happy, then I tried my new Gemtech Suppressor and it looks like Sig uses different threads and my new suppressor will not fit.

What a long day.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm assuming the factory ones are 13x1 LH threading and your Gemtech is 1/2 x 28.

You can either get an adapter (which will make the thing stick out further) or get another piston for your Gemtech or another threaded barrel. It all comes down to what you want to spend. (I'd buy the piston if you plan on having any other metric threaded guns. I almost bought a piston to use on my MPX but since I was shortening the MPX barrel, I just had it rethreaded to fit my Tundra)

Not minority enough!

posted Hide Post
Another piston is what I'm thinking. Best place to buy one?

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Yeah, I'm assuming the factory ones are 13x1 LH threading and your Gemtech is 1/2 x 28.

You can either get an adapter (which will make the thing stick out further) or get another piston for your Gemtech or another threaded barrel. It all comes down to what you want to spend. (I'd buy the piston if you plan on having any other metric threaded guns. I almost bought a piston to use on my MPX but since I was shortening the MPX barrel, I just had it rethreaded to fit my Tundra)

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Gemtech direct or try Silencer Shop.

Not minority enough!

posted Hide Post
Sig & HK use M13.5 X 1LH threads on their 9mm barrels.

Posts: 115 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the exact same pistol and when I got it home after purchase had this exact same problem. The thread protector was over-tightened (my guess is due to the LH threads and the gun shop guys trying to loosen it and unintentionally tightening it instead).

Anyway, I used a cloth on the outside of the thread protector and a pair of large vise grips for added leverage (being careful to get a good grip on the TP while not over tight on the threads or end of the barrel).
That did the trick for me.

Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
Save your old leather belts. A good scrap of leather is a lot safer to use between a knurled surface and the jaws of a vise-grip pliers than a piece of cloth. Smile

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
Sig & HK use M13.5 X 1LH threads on their 9mm barrels.

Not always. Some Sig barrels are 500x28 but not the 320's.

For every rule, there's an exception to the rule.

Certified Glock, Sig Sauer Armorer
www.goingquiet.com - Stocking Silencerco, Gemtech, Sig Sauer and Rock River Arms
sales@goingquiet.com 321-917-0760

Posts: 432 | Location: Melbourne, FL | Registered: June 08, 2010Report This Post