SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P232field strip problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P232field strip problem Login/Join 
posted
I just bought a P232 in great cosmetic shape. However, when I went to disassemble it, I couldn’t get the slide to come off by pulling the lever down, retracting the slide and lifting up the rear. The slide goes to the rear but is not able to be lifted up for removal. I have had these before and have not experienced a problem field stripping. I can see the take down lever rotating through the frame but it seems that is not working. Any thoughts? pop pop

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tzin,

Posts: 11 | Registered: February 16, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I haven't field stripped (or shot) a P230/P232 in over 25 years, so I'm not sure this applies but, have you removed the magazine? Also the Recoil Spring could be binding up a bit, and NOT allowing you to fully retract the slide in order to clear the end of the rails on the back of the frame. If you retract the slide while holding the pistol inverted, you should be able to observe the rails on the slide clear the rails on the frame. Just a couple of things to consider.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on this model will be along soon to offer assistance. Good Luck!

Regardless though, I will HIGHLY recommend that you edit your post to remove your email address, unless you want anyone on the ENTIRE internet to be able to see it, and you're a fan of spam! You should edit your SIGforum Profile and to include your email there, as your 'Display Email'. Doing so will ensure that ONLY logged in SIGforum members will be able to see it. Wink

Welcome to SIGforum! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your info - doesn’t seem like slide is going back enough. Will edit!!

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Greymann. Seems to be something prohibiting the slide from going back enough. Took it to the range and it shoots great - just can’t field strip it.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Anything observable when looking into/through the magwell?

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing visible

posted Hide Post
the slide goes back further when the take down lever is in normal up position. That seems strange too.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Is the take down lever possibly broken and rotating out of position.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see the take down lever turning on the right side as I turn it - maybe part of it broke. Guess it just might be a pistol that you can’t strip but everything else works. You never know what you might get at a gun show!!

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Put a pencil mark on the off side end you can see rotating and see if its consistently moving with the lever.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it moves to the same place every time.

posted Hide Post
Aha - after playing with it some more, the pin doesn’t move all the time like the lever. Must be broken. Now. How to get it out!!

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a Dremel and are comfortable/competent using it:

Mask off the left side of the P232 with painters tape or duct tape.
Grind off the rivet that attaches the lever.
Then using a cutoff wheel, cut a slot in the end of the left side barrel of the takedown lever assembly.
Using a small straight blade screwdriver, insert the screwdriver blade into the Dremel cut slot and rotate the takedown assembly to the disassemble position.
Sourcing a replacement part may be a problem, I wouldn't start the repair job until I had the replacement takedown lever in my hand.
Use a well worn Dremel cutoff wheel, smaller cutoff wheel diameter is a good thing, it lessens the chance for damage to the pistol frame.
You could try calling SIG, I'm unsure what they will tell you about support for the P232 model.
Numrich is out of stock for blued and stainless takedown levers for the P232.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tzin:
Aha - after playing with it some more, the pin doesn’t move all the time like the lever. Must be broken. Now. How to get it out!!

Bingo. You got it!

The above directions would work if your comfortable.

Can you see where the lever is separated from the shaft? Or is it under the lever out of sight?

posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your info and advice - much appreciated!! Seems like there no replacement parts so will try to cuts slot on right side of pin for screwdriver and try to take down that way. Then have shaft welded. Will have gun smith do the heavy lifting. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again everyone!!

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Place a WTB in the classifieds here, someone may have a spare they would be willing to part with or know of a source.

also watch Gunbroker and ebay. people will part a gun out sometimes and list them on those sites.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I would contact SIG before moving forward with any DIY Gunsmithing to remove the Take-Down Lever. They may have a specific procedure/tools (and experience) in performing this repair, as well as the replacement parts to resolve your issue. Just because SIG is not longer selling parts for the P230/P232, doesn't mean they don't have any 'Service Parts' in their inventory for just such an occasion. The Take-Down lever of the P232 is pretty damn small compared to other 'Classic P-Series' SIGs and I'd imagine it would be difficult to accomplish this repair using a Dremel without at least some cosmetic damage to the frame.

Also, as this is a used Pistol, you'd be well advised to consider the SIG Service Package, which replaces all springs in the Pistol and includes a thorough service/maintenance of the Pistol as well, assuming they still offer it for the P232.

Live Free or Die!

posted Hide Post
They seemed uninterested when I talked to them before, but I didn’t ask about the replacing springs program. Thanks for the hint.

posted Hide Post
Got the pistol to field strip!! Made a tool by using vice grips with a sawed-off machine screw taped to one jaw and was able to press the lever together by using force on the lever and the end is the pin on the right side and turning. Pistol Was very dirty and the recoil spring was in backwards. Cleaned everything real good used some Break Free and it works like like new. No use taking it apart since no replacement is available and according to Sig it’s a pressure fit. Am leaving well enough alone a d will test it out at the range and hop for the best. Thanks to all for your a
Info and advice. God bless.7