SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sight Installation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight Installation Login/Join 
posted
Presently replacing my night sights with factory Sig night sights. Removed the old sights moving from right to left, and installed the new sights from left to right. Rear sight went in fine. Front sight is going in lopsided. The right side is going in OK, but the left side is high, and does not appear to be tracing in the dovetail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 17 | Registered: March 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What tool(s) are you using to install the sight?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Back it out. Clean up any burrs that may have been created by the angled install attempt and try it again.

This has happened a few times to me before. Just take your time and don't force it.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What tool(s) are you using to install the sight?

I'm using the Sig brand sight adjustment tool. Applied gun oil to the dovetail and bottom of the new sight.

I backed the new sight out and removed some of the paint from the bottom of the new sight. Used an emery board to do this.

Tried pushing the new sight a second time with just finger pressure and it appears to go into the dovetail about half way, but again, the sight is going in at an angle with the right side of the sight apparently flush to the slide, and the left side raised slightly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Back it out. Clean up any burrs that may have been created by the angled install attempt and try it again.

This has happened a few times to me before. Just take your time and don't force it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that, but still not going in properly.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
You mention the sig branded pusher. I have had a few that were not cut deep enough to get the pusher centered over the front sight. Think it was on a 226 that had a longer chin at the front of the slide that kept it offset.

Think I would try manually pushing the sight on and then try tapping with hammer or brass/nylon punch to see if you can get the sight started straight.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
You mention the sig branded pusher. I have had a few that were not cut deep enough to get the pusher centered over the front sight. Think it was on a 226 that had a longer chin at the front of the slide that kept it offset.

Think I would try manually pushing the sight on and then try tapping with hammer or brass/nylon punch to see if you can get the sight started straight.

Interesting that you mentioned that. The instructions that came with the sight pusher advise to remove the spacer (shim) when working on a .357/40 P239. I used the spacer when adjusting a P229, and the tool scratched the top of the slide.

Also, I purchased a few sets of night sights, and one of the lamps is out. I'll have to call Sig about this.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Perhaps there is a problem with the sight, but one thing I do when installing sights is to get them well started and at the proper angle with a brass hammer. That seems to ensure they go in properly when finishing up with a sight tool.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What sigfreund said. OR…insert a small screwdriver between the sight tool and the top of the trailing edge of the sight. This prevents it from lifting out of the dovetail.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P245man:
...I used the spacer when adjusting a P229, and the tool scratched the top of the slide...

Adhere blue painter's tape (3M product number 2090) on the slide to protect against surface scratches. Painter's tape comes off clean most of the time but when it doesn't, it won't take much to clean off.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post