SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig p365 Question - Slide Doesn't Lock Back on Partially Loaded Mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig p365 Question - Slide Doesn't Lock Back on Partially Loaded Mags Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
My friend came in from Germany and we went to the range this past Sunday. Had a blast. Shooting old "shook up" soda cans is so oddly satisfying!

My p365 shot great and my question pertains to shooting a partially loaded magazine.

We used my 10-round and 12-round mags. When the mags were fully loaded there were zero issues.

However when we split the last 10 rounds between us, 5 were loaded into each magazine. For both of us, the slide did not lock back after the final 5th round.

So we manually operated the slide on each empty magazine and it locked back every time.

Hence the only time it did not lock back was after firing the 5th and final round in each mag.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Weak ammo.

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
Have you ever taken the mags apart and cleaned them?

If they are dirty the power of a fully compressed spring might be enough to overcome the resistance of built-up crud, whereas a partially compressed one won't.

Just a thought (and an easy fix)...

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Weak ammo.

Not sure I understand as we shot 90 rounds with full mags and the slide locked back every time. It was the last 2 mags with 5 rounds apiece wherein the slide did not lock back.

FYI it was all Winchester white box.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmfnla:
Have you ever taken the mags apart and cleaned them?

If they are dirty the power of a fully compressed spring might be enough to overcome the resistance of built-up crud, whereas a partially compressed one won't.

Just a thought (and an easy fix)...

Thanks. Mags have about 200 rounds through them and were clean.

Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Make sure your thumbs aren't resting on the slide release lever and holding it down. #1 issue for me with all my Sigs.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Make sure your thumbs aren't resting on the slide release lever and holding it down. #1 issue for me with all my Sigs.

Thanks. Thinking about it, there were 2 of us shooting the same gun, and when we were finishing, there were only 10 rounds left to shoot.

Hence we loaded both mags with 5, and he shot one mag and I shot the other to close the day. I guess we both could have been riding the slide release, but I kind of doubt it.

My guess is I will never figure it out, and it may not matter, and I thank all of you for your suggestions.

Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
last shot of the day? maybe your grips weren't what they were earlier in the day... sub-compacts sometimes will stove pipe when gripped too lightly.

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
One of the drills I do every week is to shoot magazines of 5 rounds only.

And, I'm using fairly weak range reloads I made so I'm thinking it isn't the gun.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post