SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sight replacement, pushing (follow up question)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight replacement, pushing (follow up question) Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
I'm sure this has been asked & answered... but if replacing the sights on either a P226 or P239 is there a direction to push to remove the sights...

I just bought a site pusher from a fellow member here and want to replace the sights on one of my P239's but will probably do the same on one of my P226's.

see my follow up question below.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
SIG’s advice has always been to install from the left, pushing to the right. The reason for that is some sights are slightly beveled on the bottom of the right side of the base to help ensure unhindered movement.

Removing can be in either direction, but I always go the opposite from installing. I.e., I remove by pushing right to left.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
SIG Armorer's manual instructs L-to-R for installation, R-to-L for removal.

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...0601935/m/4730011644

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just me and my dyslexia but in all these post everyone is mentioning installation from left to right but I have yet to see someone clarify from which direction while looking at the slide.

In watching a YouTube video it seems it is looking at the slide from the rear.

thanks guys, this was a big help...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have yet to see someone clarify from which direction while looking at the slide.

The “side” of a gun is based on its position when it’s held for firing, i.e., with the muzzle pointed away from us, and not looking down the barrel.

On the P239 the left side of the gun has the decocking lever and slide catch lever.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe it's just me and my dyslexia but in all these post everyone is mentioning installation from left to right but I have yet to see someone clarify from which direction while looking at the slide.

If you're familiar with revolvers it might make it easier to remember.

SAA revolvers, almost all, have the loading gate on the Right side.

DA revolver's cylinders swing out on the Left side for reloads

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It makes perfect since to look at it that way but my nature is to always second guess these things.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Follow up question:

I bought a Real Avid sight pusher from a fellow member here.... looks like a nice tool... but in trying to remove the sights off my latest P239... they won't move.... I looked at the final part of the instructions on the sight pusher and it says that sights that are factory installed it's often best to hammer or cut out..... how do I remove the factory installed sights off a P239?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The cutting I’ve heard of was done with a Dremel cutoff wheel. That obviously requires care, but it shouldn’t be necessary to cut all the way to the bottom of the sight base. An alternative would be use a jeweler’s saw with a blade capable of cutting the metal of the sight. That would be slower and possibly more controllable.

Although it’s not something I would be concerned about, if the present sights have night sight capsules, some people recommend not compromising them to release the tritium, especially in a confined area. It that applies to your situation, you might research that matter.

As for removing the sight without all that, you could try soaking the base in Kroil and/or heating the area with an appropriate source to expand the slot. Usually, though, if the sight tool is strong enough, sooner or later the sight will move. I am not familiar with the Real Avid, and so I don’t know what its limits are, but that’s also a concern. My MGW Sight-Pro tool is very stout and I haven’t found anything (yet) that it won’t move, but even it cautions that no attempts to increase the pushing pressure beyond what’s possible with the stock unit should be made.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Follow up question:

I bought a Real Avid sight pusher from a fellow member here.... looks like a nice tool... but in trying to remove the sights off my latest P239... they won't move.... I looked at the final part of the instructions on the sight pusher and it says that sights that are factory installed it's often best to hammer or cut out..... how do I remove the factory installed sights off a P239?

I've had similar problems with my 229's. I soak them with penetrating oil and use a brass punch to drift them out. I also use the punch to install if they are not night sights.

Posts: 273 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a Real Avid sight pusher from a fellow member here.

That's a pretty mainline style sight pusherdesign, but very heavy duty and should serve you well. Do you have it mounted in a vice while using it?

quote:
I looked at the final part of the instructions on the sight pusher and it says that sights that are factory installed it's often best to hammer or cut out..... how do I remove the factory installed sights off a P239?

If the leverage provided by the Avid isn't moving the sight, I'd go with the non-marring punch and hammer route before trying to cut them out...assuming that you already have the slide mounted in a vice

Reminds me of the time I had Bruce Gray remove the factory front sight on my S&W M&P9. He said he had to hit it so hard that the sight flew across the room when it finally broke loose

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post