SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Constitutional Carry question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Constitutional Carry question Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
If a person's state of residence does not have Constitutional Carry and they do not possess a carry permit for their state of residence (and therefore, reciprocity is out of the question when they travel to other states), are they covered under a state's Constitutional Carry law when they are visiting a state that does have Constitutional Carry?

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’re good in South Dakota, so long as you can lawfully own a handgun:

https://sdsos.gov/general-serv...residents,23%2D7%2D7)

Posts: 669 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You're fine here in Florida as long as you're not a "prohibited person."

If I correctly understand the note in HandGunLaw.US, this is generally true in those states with Constitutional Carry:
quote:
Note: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming have "Permitless Carry"

Anyone who can legally possess a firearm may carry in these states without a Permit. Check each states page for age or other restrictions that may apply.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, anyone who can legally own can carry in Wyoming.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are good here in Arizona, as V-Tail posted.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
To be clear, the question is hypothetical. I live in a Constitutional Carry state and I have a concealed carry permit.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
This should be very interesting. I hope it would be that simple, extending a bona fide 2A right to other state non-citizens, unless it was the result of a horse trade with another non 2A legislator.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’d say it boils down to how each state has the statute written. In Kentucky, Constitutional Carry applies by statute as anyone not prohibited under 18 USC 922. If the person has prohibitors, then they can be charged with carrying a concealed deadly weapon. This applies to guns, brass knuckles, knives other than regular pocket knives, etc. there is no verbiage listing state of residency.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
There may also be the question does each state follow their own gun laws for this situation. There are some democratic states and jurisdictions where they don't follow federal gun laws or even their own.

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That could vary from state to state depending on the statute.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
jhe, I never understood how state law can contradict federal law. Is that legal, so to speak, or do the Feds prefer to let that sort of stuff go, when federal law says xyz is legal, but state or local officials don't obey said federal law and prosecute xyz anyway ? Or is my question too naive for a simple explanation ?

Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Para, this might be similar to what you are asking

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/...-to-carry-a-firearm/

Posts: 1539 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are bound by the laws of the state you are standing in. So, if the state you are standing in is in fact a true Constitutional carry state, you are good. If they have language about residency or carry status, it’s not a Constitutional carry state.

Posts: 13 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post