SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Florida's Assault Weapons Ban Fails to Qualify for Ballot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida's Assault Weapons Ban Fails to Qualify for Ballot Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
https://www.tampabay.com/flori...loridas-2020-ballot/

The Tampa Bay Times is a liberal rag, but at least this monster is off our ballot. We will still have to defeat a $15 minimum wage grab. I don't know how that is going to go. Hospitality and theme parks don't want it, but I'll bet their employees do. That one could be tough to kill. John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan donated almost $4.2 million to the effort to get this on the ballot, and he is probably doing it so that he can sue businesses on behalf of workers who allege that they aren't getting the increased wage. He's making an investment in his business by screwing every other employer in the state.

But still, the good news...

quote:
Florida voters won’t get a chance to vote this fall on a proposed constitutional amendment to ban assault weapons after the initiative failed to get enough signatures.

Instead, the organizers behind Ban Assault Weapons Now say they’ll focus on getting the amendment on the ballot in 2022.

Chairwoman Gail Schwartz said in a statement that they’ll continue gathering signatures “despite the best efforts of the NRA and politicians in Tallahassee.”

“Hundreds of thousands of Floridians from all across the state are behind this critical movement and it’s up to us to make sure we succeed where our so-called ‘leaders’ have repeatedly failed,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz’s nephew, Alex Schachter, was killed by a former classmate wielding an assault rifle in the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School In Parkland.

To make it on the November ballot, organizers had to gather 766,200 verified signatures by today. The organizers fell well short with just 147,304, according to the Secretary of State.

The amendment would ban the sale of “semiautomatic rifles and shotguns capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition at once, either in fixed or detachable magazine, or any other ammunition-feeding device.”

Current owners of assault rifles would have to register them with the state within a year and would not be allowed to sell them.

But it was met with stiff resistance by the National Rifle Association and Attorney General Ashley Moody, who said the amendment was “deceitful and misleading.”

She said last year that the amendment was too broad and would have made illegal many weapons that some people would not consider an “assault weapon.”

“It is so far-reaching and misleading, it would also include guns like the gun my grandfather gave my father and his brother when they were 9 and 10, 60 years ago,” she said in August.

The language in the amendment was crafted with the help of a lifelong NRA member, who told the Times/Herald last year that Moody’s interpretation was “complete nonsense.”

Although it won’t be on the ballot this fall, lawyers for the amendment still plan on arguing the case before the Florida Supreme Court on Tuesday. The justices have to approve amendments before they go on the ballot. Moody’s office is expected to argue the amendment is too broad and vague to go before voters.

Voters this fall also won’t get to vote on an amendment that would allow recreational use of marijuana, which also failed to get enough signatures.

The two proposed amendments that have been approved would raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour and change the wording of the constitution regarding the citizenship of voters.

Information from News Service of Florida contributed to this story.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. Big sigh of relief...for now. We can’t let our guard down, because they will try again.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Morgan and Morgan. What a joke.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post