SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    NICS checks for firearm repair
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NICS checks for firearm repair Login/Join 
Picture of bjor13
posted
A friend of mine believe the feds snuck this in based what a local gun shop told him in PA. I have not experienced this but live in KY. Did something new happen and I missed the million emails I normally get or is this something that's happening at the state level - for example in Colorado?

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you have to pass a background check to get a firearm repaired??

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
that's what he claims

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I had work done at a shop in Ohio several years ago. Their insurance required all weapons to be on their FFL log. This required a background check and a 4473 to get you weapon back. I have had work done by other shops with no check or 4473.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
About five years ago I had a NY watchsmith/goldcrafter tell me he had a visit from the NY State Police regarding his firearm gold inlay work. In the past people had always left their firearm pieces/receivers and he would work on them.
The police said that since he wasn't a FFL, the only way that work could be performed would be for the person to sit there beside him and never leave his store. They also reminded him he needed additional insurance (I assume liability).
It essentially meant he was going to have to stop working firearm inlay. I moved so I didn't see what ultimately happened.
Ya gotta love NY state. It's never found a fee, tax or law it didn't like.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call BS on this one, considering you can personally ship a pistol, even out of anti gun New York when I lived there, to for example Wilson combat for gunsmithing and they can ship it back to you with no ffl dealer involvement at all.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Well, I dunno-
I DO know in NY state (lived there a number of years with a concealed carry permit) that you CANNOT let anyone touch/shoot/hold your evil pistol unless they have also have a permit (excluding NYC and other areas).
That much is one of their many crazy laws.
Even then they have to be with you and has to be at a range. Check it out- (NY Penal Law 265.20).
NY is a complicated state-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
We have a repair log, and only the person leaving repair can pick up the firearm after the service. No 4473 for local repairs.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
From the Horse's Mouth (ATF). See the last two entries in this list:

Must a licensed gunsmith conduct a NICS background check on the return of repaired or customized firearms?

Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/gunsmiths

That said, I seem to recall a rule change back during the Obama Administration, that if a firearm was sent out of state for repairs, it had to be shipped to an (instate) FFL on return, and a Form 4473 and background check had to be performed to transfer the repaired firearm back to the owner. However, I can't seem to find anything on that.

ETA: See pages 2 & 3 in the following ATF publication, sections titled Firearm Transfers that Require a Background Check, and Transfers that Do Not Require a Background Check (PDF download).

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repos...ee-manual-111811.pdf

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
From the Horse's Mouth (ATF). See the last two entries in this list:

Must a licensed gunsmith conduct a NICS background check on the return of repaired or customized firearms?

Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/gunsmiths

That said, I seem to recall a rule change back during the Obama Administration, that if a firearm was sent out of state for repairs, it had to be shipped to an (instate) FFL on return, and a Form 4473 and background check had to be performed to transfer the repaired firearm back to the owner. However, I can't seem to find anything on that.

ETA: See pages 2 & 3 in the following ATF publication, sections titled Firearm Transfers that Require a Background Check, and Transfers that Do Not Require a Background Check (PDF download).

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repos...ee-manual-111811.pdf

I don’t remember that Obama rule. I know I sent my Sig P320 back to Sig for the “voluntary” recall, and they sent it back to me. Also, people sent their MCXs in for its recall.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No checks done on repaired firearms in Alabama.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
....... based what a local gun shop told him in PA. ........

There is your issue.

And let me guess, they charge for this "service"?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend in NY recently sold his Colt Python to purchase 2 S&W M&P's. Let's not debate the stupidity here. One for him and one for his wife. For them to legally exchange guns EVEN AT THE RANGE they had to list each other's gun on their permits. The permits have room for 4 guns. That made me smile.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Regarding engraving/gold work on firearms by jewelers/precious metal/engraver experts (not gunsmith)-

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that in the last few years I've left both handguns and long arms at my gunsmith for extended periods. He's in CT and I'm in NY, and I've never needed to perform a NICS check to get them returned. I've also sent several pistols back to their manufacturer to be worked on, and they sent them directly to me when they were done.

As to pistols in NY, the initial plastic license has space for four guns. If you have additional guns, they give you additional cards. Quite possibly the only good thing to come out of the SAFE Act is any pistol license holder can shoot another license holders guns at a range. You no longer need the specific gun on your license.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
About five years ago I had a NY watchsmith/goldcrafter...

You need federal and state licenses in NY.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need federal and state licenses in NY.

Not only in NY. You are required to hold a Type 1 FFL in any state.

quote:

Doesn't exist. Some states require repaired firearms to be retuirned to a FFL.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
What if you send a firearm to say, CCR, for refinishing?

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
....... based what a local gun shop told him in PA. ........

There is your issue.

And let me guess, they charge for this "service"?

Ha ha. Sums it up.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
What if you send a firearm to say, CCR, for refinishing?

They ship it back to you.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post