SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Kentucky Bill Request 171
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kentucky Bill Request 171 Login/Join 
posted
Representative Josh Bray of Mt. Vernon has introduced BR171. This Legislation is intended to make Kentucky a Second Amendment Sanctuary State.
The news media has covered it but spends most of there time interviewing Representatives against it. KY residents need to contact your state representative encouraging them to co-sponsor this legislation. Sooner rather than later is better.

Posts: 98 | Registered: August 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The legislature is out of session until January. The bill will have to be refiled.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim, I am perplexed by your response. The wording indicates it is not worth doing anything about it. Both Senators and Representatives can prefill bills. They go into Bill Request then when the cession starts in January they are the first bills that are filed. The reason for prefilling the legislation is to allow other Legislators to sign on as Co-Sponsoring the bill. If gun owners in Kentucky want their rights to be protected from the federal government legislation like this is a must. 14 other states have done this already. With Kentucky's gun history I am surprised it has not been introduced before. If we Kentuckians don't want progun legislation like the big one introduced and defeated last cession we need to get our Legislators behind this. Nothing will happen until they hear from their constituents encouraging them to hopefully co-sponsor but at a minimum vote to pass it.

posted Hide Post
I just checked the legislation page for Bill Request 171. These are the sponsor and co-sponsors as of right now: J. Bray, K. Banta, D. Fister, B. Reed, R. Webber. Not many. One co-sponsor is my representative that got on board after I contacted her. I also contacted some Kentucky Senators and they promised if the bill gets to the senate they would push it. Guys and gals contact your Kentucky State Representatives and encourage them to co-sponsor this legislation. We need at least 20 co-sponsors.

posted Hide Post
I checked yesterday. There are now 8 co-sponsers. The session starts early January and it is a 60 day session. After the first of the year contact your Representatives and encourage them to support this legislation. It would also be great if Kyles Law would be introduced.

posted Hide Post
The secession is not far away. Your Representatives and Senators are home in your Districts. Contact them have a face to face conversation with them letting them know you cherish your gun rights and expect them to uphold them. There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed but our Representatives and Senators are reluctant to address them. Safe storage of guns in hotel safes for travelers staying in there Hotels, financial institutions treating firearm related companies as second class not to be associated with customers, the degrading and almost trying to vilify the second amendment, and many more issues. Legislation has been enacted in other states correcting these issues and can be copied and not recreated to accomplish the tasks. Please contact your State Official's in the next three weeks.

posted Hide Post
The session has just started. No bills introduced yet. Time to remind our Representatives of the importance of this legislation.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, interesting. You mean bill doesn’t advance until the chamber is in session AND it’s been refiled.

Perplexing!

Now, perhaps people should contact their state reps.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
House Bill 29 is the evolution of Bill Request 171. Again contact your house representatives and ask them to co-sponsor and support this bill.

posted Hide Post
Just an FYI it now has 12 co-sponsors and was introduced 1/5/2022

posted Hide Post
There are now 13 co-sponsor's.

posted Hide Post
Now 14 co-sponsors. No fiscal impact study yet.

posted Hide Post
This bill is in the hands of the House Leadership. They will sit on it unless they get pressure from Kentuckians. Email asking them to call up HB 29.

posted Hide Post
Sample of Letter I Wrote.

Honorable, Chad McCoy, Majority Whip,
702 Capital Ave.
Annex Room 370
Frankfort, KY 40601

Re House Bill 29

Dear Majority Whip McCoy:

I am urging you and the rest of The House Leadership to call this bill up and hopefully you will co-sponsor it. Not long ago most counties in Kentucky passed Resolutions stating they were 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Counties. Following on that Representative Bray introduced this bill and at least 13 other representatives have added their names as co-sponsors. 14 other states have already enacted similar legislation. Kentucky’s pro firearm history dictates we should be out front on this issue. You know more than most the restrictive anti-constitutional push out of Washington. This bill does not change firearms laws as they now are written. Also, this bill does not restrict passing any future firearm related bill by the Kentucky Legislature. This bill makes firearm law in Kentucky only be controlled by Kentucky . The Federal Government challenged Missouri’s Second Amendment Preservation Act (Same Legislation). Missouri’s Attorney General responded back showing the Act was Constitutional with such complete data backing it that The Federal Government dropped their challenge.

Kentucky is one of the most firearm friendly States in the Nation. This needs to continue.
Please call this bill up.

Respectively,

Jay Weber

posted Hide Post
A simple to the point email from another Kentucky Citizen.

Representative Miles,

This note is to encourage you to please call up HB 29 and stop the federal government from usurping our God given right to protect ourselves and our families …. Enough is enough!

Please protect Kentucky freedoms from the tyrannical federal government!

posted Hide Post
Now 16 co-signers but the House Leadership has not called the bill up.

posted Hide Post
Call me skeptical. I have seen the following in the past. The bill gets called up late in the session and passed in the House. Not enough time for the Senate to act on it. The House members will go home an boast they voted for the Legislation and passes it. In fact House leadership does not want this Legislation enacted. They think we are stupid.

posted Hide Post
What I sent today to all House Leadership

Honorable, Chad McCoy, Majority Whip,
702 Capitol Ave
Annex Room 370
Frankfort, KY. 40601

RE: House Bill 29

Dear Majority Whip, McCoy:

This is important, and your action now will protect all citizens of The Commonwealth. Not doing anything or stalling will have consequences for Kentucky. The U.S. House passed The Violence Against Woman Act. Of course, there is nothing wrong with opposing and fighting violence against women. Doing so is quite admirable. The disingenuous Democrats took what could be great legislation and riddled it with Anti 2A language. As written and likely to be passed this legislation will infringe on Constitutionally protected Second Amendment rights.

Section 102 provides federal grants to fund firearm seizures.
Section 801 and 802, authorize red-flag laws, gun cornification orders, and create new and expanded gun bans;
Sections 1201 and 1202 allocates funding to prosecute thousands of NICS denials, including Law=Abiding gun owners who received False-positive denials;
Section 12034 authorizes special appointments and deputizations to prosecute new gun controls.

Clearly these sections do nothing to reduce violence against women and everything to do with enacting President Biden’s gun control agenda. The makeup of the U.S. Senate is likely to change this election cycle. Democrats are pushing this legislation hard to beat that change. The ball is in your court.

Please bring HB 29 to the floor so it can be acted upon and protect Kentucky citizens.

Respectively

Jay Weber

CC: Representatives Bray, Banta, Fister, Hale, Huff, Johnson, Lewis, Massey, McCool, Prunty, Reed, Riley, Sheldon, Thomas, Webber

posted Hide Post
Jimmy Cantrell, President,
Keith Fetters, NRA Liaison
League of Kentucky Sportsmen
1116 Hume Road
Lexington, KY 40516

RE Kentucky House Bill 29

Gentlemen,

On the NRA web site, you are listed as the Kentucky chapter representatives of the NRA which is why I am contacting you. House Bill 29 is legislation intended to make Kentucky a Second Amendment Sanctuary State. It was introduced by Representative Bray and 15 additional House Representatives have co-sponsored it. No mater how much encouragement House Leadership is refusing to call the bill up and place it in a committee so it can be acted upon. I have spoken to Senate Leadership, and they assured me if they get the legislation early enough, they will act upon it, and it is very likely to pass.

We are running out of time. Any influence or pressure you can apply to the House Leadership to move this forward would be appreciated.

Respectively

Jay Weber

posted Hide Post
Dear Speaker Osborne,

Thank you for all the great work that you and the entire Republican team are accomplishing for the Commonwealth of Kentucky!

I'm writing you today as proud lifelong Kentucky resident, lifelong Republican activist and voter, and the Mayor of Fort Wright Kentucky to say I am very disappointed there has been no action on Representative Bray's HB 29.

In light of increasingly aggressive anti-gun rhetoric from the current administration and a Republican super majority in the Kentucky House, it's hard to understand why this critical bill continues to languish in the House.

As you know, it has not been long since many counties in Kentucky passed resolutions stating they were 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Counties. Not long afterwards, Representative Bray introduced this important bill which now has 19 co-sponsors including my Representative Kim Banta. Thank you Kim, your support is appreciated and will not be forgotten.

14 other states have enacted similar legislation, and as a state that values individual liberty, we should be leading on this issue. As you know, HB 29 does not restrict passing any future firearms related bills by the Kentucky Legislature it merely prohibits an increasingly out of control Federal Government from further infringing on our 2nd Amendment rights.

I urge you and the Republican leadership to call this bill up and get it passed in this session.

Thank you for your service and your immediate consideration of this important bill.

I look forward to your response and your support.